Guitar straps. They're all rubbish!

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
I find it virtually impossible to find a guitar strap I like. I hate all those ones that takes half an hour to adjust because its all threaded back on itself. Don't like big ones, clunky ones, weird ones, leather ones, tooled ones .....

I basically like your bog standard Levi as a physical design, but for me the choice of material/patterns/pictures etc is rubbish. I have only ever found one - yes one that I actually like. I have two of them already, I'd rather get something different. Why are guitar straps so booooring ???????

This is probably just another of my threads that basically ends up showing me as being weird again, right?
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3453
    Yup.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I have a drawer full of fancy straps collected over the years... except for my acoustic which needs a leather strap for friction everything else is one of two straps. - either the bog standard 2" Ernie ball nylon, or the 3" wide Levys nylon on my LP and SC as they're a bit heavier.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12901
    Neotech Mega Bass Strap. 

Easy to adjust, insanely comfortable. That's exciting enough for me. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    axisus said:

I hate all those ones that takes half an hour to adjust because its all threaded back on itself.
    I like the leather ones that thread back through themselves. Why do you need to adjust them other than initially? Once you've found the right length it's a positive advantage that they can't ever 'self-adjust' like the sliding buckle ones.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    Don't buy one that is recycled.

Happy to help.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24803
    It's probably best you play sitting down from now on and stop worrying about straps....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CountryDaveCountryDave Frets: 851
    I like the very simple one that came with the Fender AV reissues.  Got one on my telecaster, bought one from a shop the I thought was the same but had way more padding in the shoulder pad.  Finally found another on eBay.  Nice, slim, flexible and comfy.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28198
    I like the brightly coloured fake fur ones.

I feel a little sad that so many soft toys have to die for each, but I'm fairly cold-hearted.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    10reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2897
    Couch guitar straps are my favourite, I have the racer x ones in different colours. Vegan friendly as well if you're into that sort of thing. 
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    Become a drummer. Never worry about straps again. Boom tish.
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    My girlfriend-at-the-time-now-my-wife bought me a guitar strap that I had described a few months prior to a birthday almost twenty years ago.

I said, "I am going to this saddlery [no longer trading] and I am going to get them to make me a strap that's 2" wide and 5' long with a hole punched in either end."

Turns out that you can't get leather straps that long, so they added one of those adjustable things. Not a bad idea, as I have been shortening it ever since!
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Aren't you the guy with ONE guitar..?
     ;) 
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• Go to a Tandy dealer buy a leather strap mine cost £27 lot of money for just a strap, but I cut it to size, carved name and design in and it's perfect. 
    Dyed it black. Point is no adjustment and they last for ever. 
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Duck tape.
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4724
    Each of my guitars have different straps and I've never really given any thought to them. They are just there to go round my neck and hold my guitar and once initially adjusted I don't give them a second thought.  

Aside from the classic Fender cloth strap that came with my 2010 Strat, all other straps are leather, all are either black or tan except a blue Levi one given to me as a present. I really couldn't care less about colour or fancy designs. As long as they hold my guitar safely and are comfortable, I'm happy. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33797
    I have 3 basic leather straps that I bought in Sydney in the early 90's that are just about perfect- they are on my most used guitars.

I wish I could go back and buy 10 more for my other guitars.

All the leather straps I see now are either too thick, inflexible or overly long.
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    I find that the regular woven Fender ones work fine for me, although I got a couple of those nice suede Levi's ones that Amazon had cheap a couple of years ago which are very comfy, if a little short.
  • Kade1301Kade1301 Frets: 2
    If you can't find one you like to buy, make it yourself! Where's the problem?

I'll weave one with my name on it, but first I need to finish the rug that's on the loom.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2197
    edited March 2017
    Admittedly it's probably a bit boring, but for my guitars I like the Levi 2 inch cotton strap. I also like the material because it's got a bit of grip.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Levys-inch-Cotton-Guitar-Strap/dp/B000XPO0IU

For my (heavy) 5 string bass, I use a 3 inch wide strap.

Also, I'd only use a strap with a plastic buckle. I'd never use a strap with a metal buckle again after I got a few dinks from one.

It's not a competition.
  • BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 768
    My favourite is a suede Levy strap, it doesn't slip like normal straps, apart from that I like the basic old Fender ones.