Guitar straps. They're all rubbish!

What's Hot

Comments

• 10thumbs10thumbs Frets: 427
    edited March 2017

Printed poly types , aren't everybodys cup of tea , but............

I got one of these just before xmas ,beautiful Japanese print ,it looks so much better than in the pic, and stupidly cheap ........ highly recommended.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003MQN9FC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    edited March 2017
    I'm 6' 2" and have a long body and long arms so I bought a couple of 1.5" wide, 1/4 inch thick veg tan treated rawhide leather strips off Ebay (The medieval reenactment / fatso belt type)  cut them to side and fitted straplocks. All the guitars have straplocks anyway.  Perfect.  Being leather they also mould to the right shape over time suede side down and only cost around £7 each.  I hate purpose made guitar straps, for starters none of them are actually long enough and I certainly wouldn't pay over £7 for one.  From memory they are about 72" long, which sits a strat in a comfortable position for me.  Purchased straps are just too short.  You can always rought them up with a rasp or a razorblade or they go smooth.  You'd be mad to buy anything else.
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31589
    Neotech Mega Bass Strap. 

Easy to adjust, insanely comfortable. That's exciting enough for me. 
    Me too, the most comfortable strap I've ever used with my Les Paul. 

Wanting an exciting strap is like wanting an exciting mic stand IMO. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3422
    I might get one of those Mono Straps, I only play at home so looks aren't important and it's an upgrade from the Polypropylene strap I have now. 
    They take a bit of getting used to but are comfy once you get there...I still prefer a regular strap though. My favourite Mono is the Warsaw. 

Also beware that most Mono straps have a metal rivet / logo insert on the strap ends, above the hole. As the ends of straps often go flying in odd directions for various reasons, these are a bit of a hazard and a design flaw from Mono IMO. I have a few finish dinks from them. 
  • Dave_VaderDave_Vader Frets: 360
    For years and years and years I just had the one black nylon strap that I would adjust for whichever guitar or bass I was using at the time. 
    Then I bought another one a couple of years ago, Rainbow, as I liked the colours. Suddenly not having to adjust every time I switched instrument was brilliant.

And now I have hundreds - I can't seem to stop buying fake snakeskin ones at the moment. All the colours of the rainbow.

I do mostly use that old black one still though for some reason.
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4670
    i have 2 of these and think they are great straps 

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24802
    i have 2 of these and think they are great straps 

Are they endorsed by the girl who used to appear on the test card?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    nope just endorsed by me
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    nope just endorsed by me
    Did you appear on the test card?
    thats me on the right 

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    thats me on the right 

You're a blackboard?

Cool.
    you racist @Bridgehouse ;
    the correct term i believe is CHALKBOARD 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited March 2017
    you racist @Bridgehouse ;;;
    the correct term i believe is CHALKBOARD 
    Well that's me showing my age...  
    you've changed man  :o
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    you've changed man  :o
    In hindsight, I've realised that the above comment could actually have been deemed to be a proper racist slur, so have edited accordingly! 

You do look a bit cross (and naught) in that picture tho..
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    usedtobe said:
    Aren't you the guy with ONE guitar..?
     ;) 

I got a long strap on each guitar. Had to "add a bit" to the Gibson strap on the SG though.
  • mr-macmr-mac Frets: 200
    Got an Australian real leather one, canny remember brand (GD or something like that)... Great value at about £20, looks good, comfy as a comfy thing and well I will be getting another :)
  • mr-macmr-mac Frets: 200
    Roland said:
    axisus said:
    Why are guitar straps so booooring ???????
    Booring is good. It's when you've sorted out what you want, and can move on to other things. 

I've have precise requirements for a strap: leather, flexible, 2.5 or 3 inches wide, suede inside so that it doesn't slip, and absolutely no metal work so that there's no risk to the guitar. Once bought they last for years. My eldest strap is 40 in July.

Will check make but my GD one iirc from OZ fits that bill exactly and cost me about £20... Seen more fancy material/nylon ones with plastic backing sell for more :)
  • cbilly22cbilly22 Frets: 360
    edited March 2017
    ICBM said:
    axisus said:

I hate all those ones that takes half an hour to adjust because its all threaded back on itself.
    I like the leather ones that thread back through themselves. Why do you need to adjust them other than initially? Once you've found the right length it's a positive advantage that they can't ever 'self-adjust' like the sliding buckle ones.

@ICBM I have found a cure for this, at least with woven straps with a mind of their own. Purchase Toyota part number 73219 33010. It's the little stopper that goes though seat belt straps to stop them passing through the buckle. Cost next to nothing, easy to install and work quite nicely.
  • WolfetoneWolfetone Frets: 1479
    I spent thirty minutes on Saturday looking for something flexible and simple for my PRS. Bought a Levi's and some JD strap locks in the end...