PC buying/building help

What's Hot
holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
I want to get a PC for learning coding, getting to grips with the basics of Blender, making phone apps and some gaming, being able to play GTA V would be nice, but if not possible I'm happy with skyrim.

Budget of around £300, is it possible?
My V key is broken
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Probably, although gta v may be tricky. 

You can get some amazing computers second hand or from Dell outlet that might fit the bill. 

In before Sporky and the awesome lenovo yoga pro 2. Though that's a bit over budget, it has a screen included. 
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28557
    I'm all about the mini ITX these days.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11462
    For £300 you are probably best looking second hand.

If you are going new, if you get the latest generation of Intel CPUs the onboard graphics are should be good enough for Skyrim so you could save on the cost of a graphics card.  The passmark score for the onboard GPU is slightly better than the GeForce GTX 260 recommended as the minimum for Skyrim.  You might be able to squeeze in around £300 that way.  If you want a separate Graphics card to get better performance than the onboard GPU you would need to spend another £60 or £70 and I don't think there would be any chance of coming in around £300.
  • RedRabbitRedRabbit Frets: 486
    I'm looking at building a similar machine after not having a desktop PC for a few years.

For £300 you're almost certainly looking at second hand components and probably CPUs and graphics cards from a couple of years ago.  You might not be able to run GTA V on high at 1080p but you should be able to get decent results from lower settings.

Might be worth watching these

Details on $375 gaming PC build

Above PC running GTA V and comparison to PS4

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4648
    Consoles only run at 720p (upscaled to 1080p) so any PC with a CPU with built in GPU wil compete. So i5/i3. I won't recommend AMD just yet as the current run of APUs no longer have any shelf live as they will be superceded in a few months.

• notanonnotanon Frets: 610
    Me thinks yes. I can recommend Qt. Mature and lots of tutorials and cross platform (Mac, Linux, web, mobile, . . ). 
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    I'm thinking buying a refurbished business machine and bunging in a graphics card. There are some i5s on Facebook marketplace for 160
    My V key is broken
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11462
    holnrew said:
    I'm thinking buying a refurbished business machine and bunging in a graphics card. There are some i5s on Facebook marketplace for 160
    Check what the spec of the power supply is.  Because processors have got less power hungry in recent years, some modern PCs are only coming with 250W power supplies.

Newer graphics cards are better on energy consumption, but if you go second hand with the graphics card and get a proper gaming card that's a few years old it could well use around 200W which will cause trouble with a weedy power supply.
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2933
    holnrew said:
    Sounds like a good idea. You should be able to get a GTX750ti and a decent PSU (if needed) used for about £150.
    The case is slimmer than a normal one, does that affect the card I can get?
    My V key is broken
    Does this seem like a decent deal? I've decided I can't be arsed building it myself

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/152519103714
    My V key is broken
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22219
    Personally I wouldn't because there's nothing listed about the actual parts used. 

I've just built a PC for a friend's kid, came in at a really good price. Swapped out some parts with mine. In the end, young chap has got an AMD FX6300 with 8gb, Gigabyte motherboard, hard drive, GTX750Ti graphics card, 23" flatscreen, speakers, and the whole thing was £290 including £30 to deliver all the stuff to him. 

Look on Ebay for stuff close to you that is collection only. Here in Bristol there's a big student market, meaning it's easy to pick up parts for peanuts. The monitor (Samsung) I picked up for a tenner (Ebay collection only) plus £4 for the bus fare. 

Unlikely to be able to do that way out west wales. Think I'm gonna have to buy a system and upgrade.
    My V key is broken