edit...PSA: BOSS DD-500 and ES-8 Users - Editor released!

vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3673
edited March 2017 in FX
This just posted on the FaceBook ES-8/5 users group:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1509876042370205&set=gm.1951635871725215&type=3&theater

BOSS ES-8 Editor software coming in March!
We’re happy to announce a new software-based editor for the ES-8 Effects Switching System. Long requested by ES-8 users, this powerful software enables you to edit patches and settings on a Mac or Windows computer. In addition, there’s an ES-8 system update coming that adds several new functions.
Details will be announced soon, so stay tuned!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9585
    Oh, wow, will this be useable with the ES5 I wonder ?

Might delay me selling mine !
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3673
    They're pretty much identical so I'm sure it will work with the ES-5. It looks as if there's a f/w update coming as well. One thing I noticed was the "mixer mode" which looks as if you can lift or drop a patches overall volume which was the only thing that the G2 did that the ES-8 can't.

There's no USB on the ES devices so I guess this will do all this over midi.
  • Boss are doing some great work between this and the DD500 editor. Really impressed!
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7811
    @Jonathanthomas83 WHAAAAAT!!! There's a DD500 editor??? Seriously? 
  • Yep, saw something like that recently...maybe on TGP, @Teetonetal ;
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3673
    @Wazmeister Now confirmed that the ES-5 will also have an editor, released in April.
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9585
    Wow, man that is really impressive ! 
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5162
    @Jonathanthomas83 WHAAAAAT!!! There's a DD500 editor??? Seriously? 
    Announced on Boss's Facebook page a little while ago. Not actually available yet AFAIK.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

Well. All this boss based awesomeness means an es5 will be heading my way. Really think this will unlock the dd500 and make it a dream combo...
  • Ogami-ZOgami-Z Frets: 6
    @Wazmeister Now confirmed that the ES-5 will also have an editor, released in April.

WOW this thread is the 1st I heard about an editor! I have the ES5 & really love it, while I find it easy enough to edit as is, this editor will definitely be a big improvement. Cant wait for this!
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    DD500 editor supposed to be coming in March. I'm waiting for it too!
  • Well I just tried the dd500 editor.  It works pretty well. It's going to make life much easier to re-arrange band set lists etc.

good stuff.
    I haven't tried it yet but heard that individual patch import/export is not possible as it always does a total patch dump of all slots. Is that true? 
  • I haven't tried it yet but heard that individual patch import/export is not possible as it always does a total patch dump of all slots. Is that true? 
    Yeah, it looks like it.  However you can select individual or groups of patches and export them, but when you do it exports all patches but seems to place the default basic delay patch in the slots you didn't select.

this seems ok to me for saving a set list or recording project's worth of patches. It's a little bit clunky and as yet it does look like you would not be able pull in patches from various libraries which might be a bit limiting.

its early days though and 1.0 software versions usually need some refinement.
    It's interesting to see where this goes. Previously boss have not been noted for their post release product development. But this is a big step in the right direction.
    I haven't tried it yet but heard that individual patch import/export is not possible as it always does a total patch dump of all slots. Is that true? 
    Yes, a couple of people on the Facebook user group have accidentally erased all their presets by trying to import a single preset. I'm pretty sure there must be a way to do it, but there's also clearly a way to *not* do it.

BEFORE YOU DO ***ANYTHING*** ELSE WITH THE EDITOR, SAVE YOUR LIBRARY TO FILE. It's in the manual.

Yeah, it looks like it.  However you can select individual or groups of patches and export them, but when you do it exports all patches but seems to place the default basic delay patch in the slots you didn't select.

this seems ok to me for saving a set list or recording project's worth of patches. It's a little bit clunky and as yet it does look like you would not be able pull in patches from various libraries which might be a bit limiting.

its early days though and 1.0 software versions usually need some refinement.
    I *think* you should be able to open a single preset "library" in the editor, highlight the patch you want, copy and paste it in to another library, then export to the DD-500.

I managed to do this with my saved library from my pedal and another preset from the user group *without* the DD-500 connected, but would want to confirm that what ends up on the pedal is what's supposed to be there.

It's going to be a bit of a faff to do that with multiple presets from different sources (why when you save a single preset does it need to create an entire otherwise blank library?), but if you're adding one or two at a time (if it works) it shouldn't be too time-consuming.

I just can't comprehend how anyone thought that single or group import / export of patches wasn't one of the top 2 or 3 features that version 1 of an editor should be able to do...
    I just can't comprehend how anyone thought that single or group import / export of patches wasn't one of the top 2 or 3 features that version 1 of an editor should be able to do...
    You know that thing where someone asks you to do a job and you do it badly so that you don't get asked again?