Pete Thorn's mini board

What's Hot

Comments

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Very keen to try a Suhr Eclipse
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Nice and compact, and I have two of those. What's the wee silver pedal top right?
  • hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2352
    edited March 2017
  • MoltisantiMoltisanti Frets: 1132
    it's bigger than my big board! 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    How many boards does that man have?  I've seen his big board, his 'fly rig' and now his mini-board.  Anyone would think people send him free pedals!
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BBBluesBBBlues Frets: 635
    Same. Disappointing they're not stackable though.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26581
    You know what I love about this? I had the idea first... ;)

I've since rejigged it so the signal path follows the same principle - everything in front of the preamp except the delay, for a board which can run mono/stereo and into an amp, into a power amp or even direct into the desk, thus removing the dependency on an amp for all the tones I want.

I'm just going to sit here and convince myself that he got the idea from me...he is, after all, a member on here... ;)
    <space for hire>
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    That does look good and I'm another one wanting to try out the Suhr Eclipse.

@digitalscream
    - just to clarify, with Pete Thorn's Ethos Clean and your F1, you use them as a clean amp but can also take your pedalboard to the desk/FOH because they have cab simulation? If so, what does it sound like compared to an amp or amp and cab?

For anyone -  I've seen quite a few cab simulators like the H&K Red Box and BluGuitar one and I have thought about getting one as a backup amp or even to reduce taking a full rig to rehearsals and gigs. Am I right in that these ones mentioned don't include a load so you can't plug your amp head into them and go to FOH? I know the Two Torpedo stuff is great but very top end and pricey. Any recommendations for decent but inexpensive cab simulators that you can put on your board but that might also double up as a load box?
    The cab sim...well, on the AMT it's the kind of thing that you'd use in a pinch (after heavily adjusting the preamp's EQ to take out almost all the treble), but definitely not as a first choice. I'm most interested in the Mooer Micro Preamps, because their cab sim seems to be a lot better.

I set up my board primarily so that I would no longer be bound to amps with a crunch and a drive channel; it's essentially given me all the functionality of my normal setup but with an extra clean channel if I fancy it.

However, I've discovered that it sounds excellent when run straight from the un-emulated output of the AMT straight into my recording interface, with Wall of Sound III as the cab emulator. In fact, it sounds better that way than running through the power section of my amps, then a dummy load and then into Wall of Sound.

So...I could easily make direct-to-desk my first choice by simply getting hold of a good cab sim or hardware impulse loader (eg the AMT CP-100 or that new Digitech pedal).
    <space for hire>
    edited March 2017
    cheers and that AMT Pangea looks good but liking the Digitech CabDryVR and a good price, too.
    Kebabkid said:
    cheers and that AMT Pangea looks good but liking the Digitech CabDryVR and a good price, too.
    I would honestly wait until the Mooer preamps are out; they'll likely be cheaper than both of those, and if the cab sim in them is halfway decent, you get everything in one box (if you use the Vox-ish or Fender-ish one as a clean preamp).

From the demos I've heard of the Digitech, it sounds pretty pants. I'm amazed they didn't stick a USB port on it so you could load your own impulses; such an obvious thing to do.
    <space for hire>
    Got you. I thought you were talking about the little Mooer cab sim pedal but I've just found this
    http://www.mooeraudio.com/?product/201701233760.html

Many thanks

• hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2352
    Ive got a board I use like this for gigs where there's no space for an amp/cab. I have the AMT SS11-a which is a 12ax7 pre with clean, crunch and lead channels. So far I've used the Two Notes CAB to the desk which makes the whole board sound awesome. It's big so will give the Digitech Cab pedal a try. I just don't need too many IR options for live use and I love Digitech gear
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    The cab sim...well, on the AMT it's the kind of thing that you'd use in a pinch (after heavily adjusting the preamp's EQ to take out almost all the treble), but definitely not as a first choice. I'm most interested in the Mooer Micro Preamps, because their cab sim seems to be a lot better.

I set up my board primarily so that I would no longer be bound to amps with a crunch and a drive channel; it's essentially given me all the functionality of my normal setup but with an extra clean channel if I fancy it.

However, I've discovered that it sounds excellent when run straight from the un-emulated output of the AMT straight into my recording interface, with Wall of Sound III as the cab emulator. In fact, it sounds better that way than running through the power section of my amps, then a dummy load and then into Wall of Sound.

So...I could easily make direct-to-desk my first choice by simply getting hold of a good cab sim or hardware impulse loader (eg the AMT CP-100 or that new Digitech pedal).
    We need to run your board through my power amp and cab.
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.

We need to run your board through my power amp and cab.
    We definitely do. That's the only test I haven't managed yet - proper gig-volume blasting through a real set of speakers.
    <space for hire>
    Ive got a board I use like this for gigs where there's no space for an amp/cab. I have the AMT SS11-a which is a 12ax7 pre with clean, crunch and lead channels. So far I've used the Two Notes CAB to the desk which makes the whole board sound awesome. It's big so will give the Digitech Cab pedal a try. I just don't need too many IR options for live use and I love Digitech gear
    Sounds good D.

The "Gig" Future looks light!
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2897
    I'm another one wanting to try that Suhr pedal. Sounds great in demos.
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    I'm eagerly awaiting the arrival of my Eclipse too... trouble is I think they're all stuck in a container somewhere with a bunch of rosewood and some tedious CITES red tape.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    @not_the_dj I noticed John Shanks ( Bon Jovi) is using one on his rig rundown (although a lot of other stuff as well). 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell.