How many amps do you really need, and would you miss them if they were gone?

What's Hot
edbolivaredbolivar Frets: 153
Like many people on here, I like a variety of amps and have been fortunate enough to get a fair few over the years for my music room.
However, about a month ago, we started a lot of building work as the missus wanted a new kitchen, so I decided to re-build my music room (it need a new roof anyway) and I wanted to improve the noise isolation. All this meant shipping everything in there (amps, pedal boards etc) into a storage for about 3 to 4 months, whilst the builders get on with the work.

This has meant going from a lot of amps and cabs to just a Yamaha THR 10 and a Louis Electric combo and the truth is I am to date not missing any of the other gear.

So, it got me thinking about how many amps I really need to have and rather than move them all back once the work is done, perhaps I should move them on if I don't really miss them...

Also tempted to apply the same logic to guitars and chuck a few of those into storage as well...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24803
    I've never been into having lots of amps - they've never really interested me that much. I have one 'real' amp (a Mesa LSS) and a Blackstar HT1 that I sometimes use for recording via the emulated output.

If I could afford to spend money on an amp I can't really justify - I'd actually like another (a 65 PRRI).
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    I would love more amps, but as I have only gigged 3 times in the last 20 years, I think a 1w Blackstar, 50w Sound City head, 100w Marshall head, Hartke 410 and homemade 212 is probably more than enough.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2950
    MATAMP in the studio, VC30 in the kitchen, lightweight Orange practice amp for when I used to go to jam sessions, Pignose for taking stuff back to basics and occasional 'day on the beach' outings, Boss cube street for my partner who occasionally busks but mainly does folk clubs.

All of them have their use, I wouldn't get rid of any, although the Orange blew up recently and I'm not missing it just yet, mainly because the 'free jam' thing is dead.

Guitars on the other hand...........now I have my Manson I never need any of the others. Possbly my Gordon-Smith Semi. the playability is great. 
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • None, and not really. If someone nicked my amp but left me a helix as a replacement, I'd be dead happy. 
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2578
    tFB Trader
    In the same way that guitars sound and feel different, amps all sound and feel different too, owning one is fine if that is your sound, but if you want variety you need more than 1, or a kemper, though I have not played one so don't know how well they cover the feel thing.
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9533
    If I had unlimited funds and space, it would be amps Id buy...

Currently have the gorgeous Rambler and a Redplate... so, i decided to buy a Kemper and see if I can literally own every amp out there ! Loving my Kemper...

.... and especially loving my new (Kemper) Divided By 13 :)
  • edbolivaredbolivar Frets: 153
    I agree that they all sound and feel different, that's how I ended up with as many as I have got.
    However, I thought I would miss them far more than I actually have...
    In terms of the Kemper I have had one and sold it within a few months. You can't compare the feel as there is none, it is like shaking hands with a soggy fish...
    But they do sound convincing, just don't feel convincing
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72333
    Need? One.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • edbolivaredbolivar Frets: 153
    @Wazmeister ;
    I must have been writing as you posted, otherwise I would have been more restrained about criticising the Kemper...
    I was perhaps being a tad flippant. :)
    I remember having lots of fun with the different profiles on the kemper and spent a bit of money buying loads of profiles and then got option paralysis.
    i still think they sounded good, but...
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9533
    edited March 2017
    edbolivar said:
    @Wazmeister ;;
    I must have been writing as you posted, otherwise I would have been more restrained about criticising the Kemper...
    I was perhaps being a tad flippant.
    I remember having lots of fun with the different profiles on the kemper and spent a bit of money buying loads of profiles and then got option paralysis.
    i still think they sounded good, but...
    Hey mate, no offence taken and no need for restraint

There is certainly a lot of learning with the Kemper, and a fair bit of tweaking !

Ive had moments where I think it might nit be for me, as im not a great tweaker. Then i compare my real life Redplate with the Kemper pre loaded profile... and wow, they behave and perform very very very similar...
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616

2 big valve amps for stereo stage playing and one small one for practice at home.

I use Fender Devilles and a Marshall 5005 Lead 12
  • Right now I have a Matrix GT1000FX and an Axe FX2... would love a valve power amp at some point. 

I'd love a collection of valve amps but it just isn't as practical for me right now.
  • wave100wave100 Frets: 150
    Vox Pathfinder 10 for me ATM...
    :)
  • cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2554
    edited March 2017
    I have a Blackstar HT40 VIntage Pro (with a Celestion V30) which I don't think I'd ever part with. I also have a Marshall DSL5C which is nice but I reckon I could part with. The Blackstar is used constantly even in my flat as it can be played at very low volumes and is much more versatile than the little Marshall. 
  • jacksparrowjacksparrow Frets: 673
    ICBM said:
    Need? One.
    Corrected. Need One More.
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    I currently have 5, but i'm in the process of scaling down.
     2 x Peavey Prowler (1 to be sold i think)
     1 x Mesa Stiletto 112 (currently up for sale)
     1x Marshall Lead 12 (needs attention)
     1 x Peavey Envoy 110
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3047
    more than 1 amp? music room?!

what are these things of magic and mystery
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 4999
    Need? 
    One tiny 2 watt vox combo for home. 
    One 100w Marshall head for live
    One bass head for playing bass. 

I have
    3 100w Marshall heads.
    2 bass heads
    One tiny vox .
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    I've probably got loads more amps than I need.    
    The thr10 gets used daily and the Friedman frfr gets gigged every week with a GK bass amp for every couple of months when I have a bass dep.  So those are justified and maybe another as a backup.  
    The jubillee I've had since 1987 so that has some sort of sentimental value.   The other marshalls and twin have been around and gigged on and off for a lot of years but could easily be replaced I guess but I hang on to them as I've learned too often that as soon as I sell something there is a high probability that I'll be offered a gig that needs it shortly after.  
    I've turned into a bit of a hoarder/collector but if I need some cash I always sell them and while I have space i can half justify them.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10405
    I have 2 BS HT5's, a tiny Marshall and a small Fender Champion 110. I almost never plug into an amp at home though, I will either just play electric guitar acoustically or I might plug into my phone and use jam up or something similar. 
    I would like an HRD or something like that for Rockibilly and funk gigs, for all the rock stuff the Blackstar is fine, just not the most inspiring clean sound. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk