Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Favourite 'obscure' band?

What's Hot

Comments

• HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22124
    I'm guessing that not many people have heard of Spc Eco, who are comprised of Dean Garcia from Curve and his daughter Rose in vocals. They're ace.

Also, Lucky, a band from Northampton who are one of the best new bands I've heard in ages.

Although a few people on here have heard of them, Besnard Lakes aren't exactly a household name. Oh, and I'm getting quite into Black Mountain at the moment too.
    Heard of them, seen them, and one of their many contributors (Joey Levenson) was a regular at HCFX. Good stuff

The Heavy Blinkers would be my favourite close to unknown band. Nicole Atkins would be another. Her performance on Letterman is worth a million Adeles. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MoominpapaMoominpapa Frets: 1649
    Love May Blitz @Reverend ;;Lots of proto-stoner in there.
    Have you heard Sir Lord Baltimore? ...And High tide-Sea shanties LP? Id imagine you have, but if not, they're great albums and would be right up your street i reckon.
    Another May Blitz fan here. Re the topic of the thread, back in the day I used to judge the usefulness of those 3" thick LP listing books by whether they mentioned May Blitz: my thinking was that if they didn't list the MB albums then they hadn't really done their homework.

There are so many bands on YouTube now that the whole concept of 'obscure' has become almost meaningless, but I'll throw out Wo Fat as a band that I love but who I never see mentioned anywhere except on the channels I follow.
  • I also love Jellyfish.  Back when I was at Uni, I used to rent CDs from the city library (no Spotify in them days, nippers) - that's how I came across Spilt Milk.

Favourite not-so-well-known band now: Wave Pictures.  Well worth checking out, particularly live.  They're soon back in the UK after a European tour - hopefully they will come back to Cambridge soon.
    Trading feedback | FS: Nothing right now
    JM build | Pedalboard plans
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22808

There are so many bands on YouTube now that the whole concept of 'obscure' has become almost meaningless
    That's a very good point.  It's easier to get music "out there" than ever before, but presumably as difficult as ever - maybe more difficult in some ways - to make money from it. 

I stumble upon new stuff on YouTube or Spotify and I have no absolutely idea whether those bands have a following, sell records or make a living from their music.  There may have been just as many bands in the 70s and 80s as there are now, but most of them we'd simply never have heard of unless they had an "underground" reputation or played locally.
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    edited March 2017
    I'm guessing that not many people have heard of Spc Eco, who are comprised of Dean Garcia from Curve and his daughter Rose in vocals. They're ace.

@lasermonkey -- another fan of Dean Garcia here.  I've followed what he's done for ages.  He's interesting to me:  he gets incredible sounds and I think it's the atmospheres he creates which I like best; the actual songs are fine but in reality I don't listen to them that much.  But I really like the sounds he gets.

My obscure suggestion No. 1 is perhaps not so obscure.  A guitarist, Vini Reilly.  The Durutti Column. 

The Durutti Column, "Gun"

• Do Fugazi qualify for this?

Built To Spill
    Wheat
    American Football
    Grown Ups

• And this from 1982 bloody love this song!

• dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    Went to see The Comet Is Coming last night (are they obscure as well? Anyway...) anr they were supported by Henge, who were superb.

• eSullyeSully Frets: 981
    ANOTHER Jellyfish fan here.

The first band that sprang to my mind are Reuben. One of my favourite bands, I know there are a few fans on here, but if you're into heavy punky alt-rock have a listen. 

Wis for Rueben, such a good band.

When I saw the thread title I thought of Matson Jones, heard them on last.fm radio when you used to be able to stream a radio station by favorite band. I think they've broken up long ago now, 2 cellos, bass and drums. Their album and Ep are really good and worth checking out if you like the song below:

More similar to Rueben, I really like Max Raptor - great running music

• BudgieBudgie Frets: 2100
    I'm not sure if any of these are particularly obscure but really liking Chin of Britain, Lea Porcelain and CTMF at the moment
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28186
    I quite like Solar Powered Sun Destroyer. Their pwn stuff is quite decent, but their cover of Hum's "Stars" is magnificent.

And The Geraldine Fibbers. Mmm, swampy.

"[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11295
    Can a band be truly obscure if they are on youtube?
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22808
    scrumhalf said:
    I think so.  Anyone can put a video on YouTube.  They might only have 3 people watch it.
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11894
    not a band:
    Michael Brook
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    Philly_Q said:
    scrumhalf said:
    I think so.  Anyone can put a video on YouTube.  They might only have 3 people watch it.
    That's true. We have several videos on YouTube and nobody asks for my autograph ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5000
    scrumhalf said:
    That's often the best place to find obscure bands. I often follow the YouTube rabbit hole to find old Swedish or German metal bands. 
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    I can't remember the name of the band, I think they were quite popular at one stage as they were on Later. The lead singer had a beard at least some of the time, and was very intense. They did very Talkings Heads-esque music and I would love to remember the bloody name of the band so I could Deezer the buggers.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5000
    I can't remember the name of the band, I think they were quite popular at one stage as they were on Later. The lead singer had a beard at least some of the time, and was very intense. They did very Talkings Heads-esque music and I would love to remember the bloody name of the band so I could Deezer the buggers.
    So obscure you don't even know the name?  A smart move for a band that wants the hipster crowd :)
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    Reverend said:
    So obscure you don't even know the name?  A smart move for a band that wants the hipster crowd :)
    :) It was a while back, and I never followed up on some Youtube exploration, and I am getting on and forget things from time to time.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • DarnWeightDarnWeight Frets: 2566
    The Forms

Down to just a duo right now.  Albini-produced and very chummy with The National.  Their second S/T album was released about ten years ago now, and it's probably my favourite album of the '00s.
    New fangled trading feedback link right here!