Question re standby switch on DRRI/other fenders

noisepolluternoisepolluter Frets: 798
Am I right in saying that when switching *off*, you don't need to put it on standby first? Doing so makes an annoyingly loud pop, whereas switching straight off doesn't.

Furthermore, should I avoid putting it on standby during breaks in playing? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72331
    You can turn straight off without using it, then switch to standby after a few seconds so it's ready for next time.

Use the standby for breaks if you want the best valve life (marginally), otherwise don't bother.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• merlinmerlin Frets: 6683
    From what I understand, and I'm sure others will chime in soon enough, standby is really only necessary when switching the amp on and this is what the switch was designed for. I used to have a 65 DRRI and had the same issue. A quick search online and I found out that the best is switch them OFF at the same time. Leaving the amp on standby for longer periods of time is not good for it, so leave it on during breaks, maybe use a Neutrik silent jack on your guitar end. 
  • Cheers guys, that's what I was hoping to hear.