Eventide H9 thoughts

chris45chris45 Frets: 221
I'm trying to reduce the physical size of my pedal board to 3-4 pedals.  The Eventide looks like it could do all delay / mod.  Is that how you use them?  Also if you have moved one on I would be interested in knowing why.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BintyTwanger77BintyTwanger77 Frets: 2219
    edited March 2017
    I moved one on and then got one back, and I shouldn't have moved mine on in the first place. It is a fantastic Swiss Army knife pedal, but more so if you get the Max version. I mostly use delay and reverb, and found I liked only a few of the reverbs so I added a Big Sky, retained my Timeline and used the H9 for certain reverb sounds, a bit of delay stacking, some of the Pitchfactor algorithms, and basically the occasional other mod/filter sound or whatever else I fancy using. It is so adaptable in your rig, and having the Max version allows you ultimate flexibility: if you get bored of the 99 presets on your H9 you can beam another 99 from any of their algorithms to the pedal. It is a work of genius.
  • peteripeteri Frets: 1283
    I have a core which I use for mod sounds at the start of my chain. 

I got it used off off here and expected to move it on quickly, but I have to say it's amazing. 

The phaser replaced my Evh phase 90 and the vintage wah my cry baby. 

Chorus etc is great too. 

Preset switching is ok, it reads worth than it is in practice. 

Mine has replaced 3-4 pedals and I'm happy with it. Recommended 
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7417
    Obviously it has its limitations on immediate controllability due to its size but if you can find a solution that works for you it's an amazing thing. 

If trying to stay small then an external 3 button foot switch will make it easier to navigate presets. I had 2 and used midi to switch them. 

The sounds are amazing and the ability to control from an iOS app via Bluetooth is the dogs wotsits
    Red ones are better. 
  • SpectreSpectre Frets: 13
    Be aware you cannot stack algorithms you can only run one at a time.  Eventide do have a few that have delay, reverb, and modulation in them that is tweakable
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    That's correct you can only run one at a time but so easy algorithms are a bit of a mixture, modulated delay etc. 
    I personally think they are sensational pedals.
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3422
    I liked mine but ultimately the need for an idevice to get the full UI and the unwieldiness of the pedal UI for live tweaking drove me nuts so I sold it on and haven't missed it. 
  • keirkeir Frets: 137
    I liked mine but ultimately the need for an idevice to get the full UI and the unwieldiness of the pedal UI for live tweaking drove me nuts so I sold it on and haven't missed it. 
    This was my experience too. Also it doesn't have analogue dry through which caused havoc with my two amp setup (wet / dry).
    Good deals with: handsomerick, majorscale, gassage, sticker, smudge_lad, anglian, edinfield99, thewiddler, thomfripp, notonlybutalso, JDE, chebellanga
  • chris45chris45 Frets: 221
    Thanks for all comments.  @keir and @Moe_Zambeek where did you go after removing the H9?
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3422
    I went to standalone delay, reverb and trem, and added a whammy ricochet for pitch shifting. Next up will be something like a Subdecay proteus etc.
  • keirkeir Frets: 137
    chris45 said:
    Thanks for all comments.  @keir and @Moe_Zambeek where did you go after removing the H9?
    I already had some of the big Strymon pedals and added the H9 to allow for stacking different sounds. I think my ear was more attuned to the sound of the Strymons so I decided to stick with them. 
    Good deals with: handsomerick, majorscale, gassage, sticker, smudge_lad, anglian, edinfield99, thewiddler, thomfripp, notonlybutalso, JDE, chebellanga
  • hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2352
    I have a few and can't see moving them on for years. Amazing pedals.
  • chris45chris45 Frets: 221
    Thanks all.  After this I'm thinking of getting an Amplifire because it can double for home recording