The intonator

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
Stew Mac are selling these. I think it looks ugly, I wouldn't want it on my acoustics

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24803
    That is ugly. I wouldn't want it on one of your acoustics either....
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26993
    Wow, erm, ok?!

That feels like overkill to say the least.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2764
    Very subjective I think pickups and switches look pretty ugly but I tend to keep them on my guitars. Question is does it do a useful job. Personally at first look it looks a potentially sensible idea
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    Lowden get round this problem by having a split saddle. The intonation on their guitars is spot on. I don't know why more builders don't go for a split saddle
  • NickLNickL Frets: 150
    Looks like a solution in search of a problem. Lots of extra mass where you don't normally want it, and needs a whole new bridge with no saddle slot. It doesn't look like there's any way to adjust height, which you're more likely to want to change. Why not just use a normal bridge with different drop-in saddles?
    I've never thought about it before, by why don't acoustic guitars, including nylon strung ones, need intonation ?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72330
    It's a tool to measure the intonation points before cutting the saddle slot, it's not meant to be left on the guitar!

mellowsun said:
    Lowden get round this problem by having a split saddle. The intonation on their guitars is spot on. I don't know why more builders don't go for a split saddle
    You don't even need that usually - just cutting the top edge of the saddle into the same shape works perfectly. I started doing this after I owned a Lowden, it seemed so obvious…

http://www.strangeguitarworks.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/IMG_1220.jpg

(That's not one of mine, I would at least have put a decent set of bridge pins in!)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11594
    edited March 2017 tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    It's a tool to measure the intonation points before cutting the saddle slot, it's not meant to be left on the guitar!

mellowsun said:
    You don't even need that usually - just cutting the top edge of the saddle into the same shape works perfectly. I started doing this after I owned a Lowden, it seemed so obvious…

http://www.strangeguitarworks.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/IMG_1220.jpg

(That's not one of mine, I would at least have put a decent set of bridge pins in!)
    As ICBM said it's a tool for measuring where the intonation points on the saddle you are making would be so you can cut the slot in a new bridge accurately. I have one and occasionally use it if resetting the location of a bridge on an acoustic that is noticeably out

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

Ok, I'm admitting my lack of knowledge here, but why do electrics need adjustable intonation and acoustics don't ?
  • AliGorieAliGorie Frets: 308
    edited March 2017
    yeah - axisus, it's a 'Luthiers Tool' to determine saddle 'break points' for scale length / string gauge.
    We've used a non adjustable version of this for decades / century's i'e' little off-cuts of strings to get the position of the break angle.

Sev112, Because U can on an electric - U can introduce adjustable (metal) saddles on an electric because the 'SOUND' dosn't come from the string energy going into the saddle / bridge / soundboard / soundbox to be amplified. The 'pickup' transduce's the strings vibration which is turned into an electrical signal.

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    Ha ha! I just saw it but didn't read any blurb! Wot a dunce! 

Lucky we have intelligent people around here!
  • AliGorieAliGorie Frets: 308
    hey axius, post u'r original post over on AGF or similar forum in the states 'n I bet there will be folks who obsess bout bridge pins / saddles etc, saying it improves the sound of they're $$$$ guitar.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72330
    sev112 said:
    Ok, I'm admitting my lack of knowledge here, but why do electrics need adjustable intonation and acoustics don't ?
    It is true to some extent that electric guitar sounds - especially distortion when you're playing two notes which then 'fight' each other - reveal intonation problems, but actually once set right, electrics very rarely need adjusting either. The difference in intonation between different brands of the same gauge and even between different gauges (within reason) is relatively small. That's why Gibson and PRS use solid stopbar bridges with only a small set-screw at each end - which usually doesn't need adjusting once set right in the first place.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein