Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

84 Tokai - Refinish conundrum

What's Hot

Comments

• DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3902
    Too difficult to call Jooky >:D<

@usedtobe I didn't mind it, but what's going on will be better looking (I hope).

Up early to go and block off, fill and re-prime. I'd like to be able to mix a good shade of white later and get it on.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Just flatted the guide coat back earlier. There were that many imperfections that I decided to use 'Dolphin glaze', a self levelling polyester filler that you can pretty much pour on rather than mess on with stopper.
    Once that was dry I flatted it back with a block and some 320, finishing off with a bit of 600 grade so it was smooth.
    Then I blew all the crap off, tacked it off, re-primed and re-guide coated. There are only a couple of very minor flaws left but they'll most likely flat out when I do the final sand (later tonight hopefully). If I can I'll be applying my version of vintage white after that. Just need to look for a tort guard today, should be all back together some time next week.

Latest pics:

Red tortoiseshell guard and back plate ordered...
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    I'm really enjoying this thread.
  • Really excellent refinishing thread / discussion Deadman.  Great picture story.

I have to say I really liked your Ford ASBO orange Strat.

Nice even bands on Tokai's original spray job, well done but not my cuppa of burst, so good call to keep and refinish IMO.

This one will look great, if a wee bit more subtle, when it's done.  
    :)

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    Looking better already IMHO
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Thanks for the kind words gents. @ChrisMusic more subtle definitely! I'm aiming for a very traditional look this time obviously.
    Well, this Tokai doesn't want to give up it's flaws easily. The guide coat however is blocking back nicely now, leaving only the tiniest of nicks. I've pencilled around them to find them easily and dolphin glazed them again. All that remains now is to flat those couple of bits back and spot prime with some quick drying primer. Then, finally, I'll be ready for topcoat. 

The main damage is a distant memory:

Damn you nicks:

Just waiting on the dolphin glaze to harden so I can crack on flatting and spot priming. Then it's topcoat time:

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    One thing that's very true in this game is that 90% of the work is in the prep. I'm aiming for perfection here as you can probably tell, but then again not all guitars require this much attention. It was seriously battered.
    Ended up fully repriming and sticking yet another guide coat on! I'm aiming to topcoat and get reassembled by next weekend.
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    I love threads like this!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

Stalled as I can't decide between off white or black! I'll have to make a decision soon. Tort bits turned up, I got them from guitarselectric.co.uk, seem decent quality.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72333
    Deadman said:
    Stalled as I can't decide between off white or black! I'll have to make a decision soon. Tort bits turned up, I got them from guitarselectric.co.uk, seem decent quality.
    Black!

Olympic white is so boring these days, even with a tortoise guard. Black with a torty guard looks much meaner.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

edited February 2014
    I knew you were going to say that!
    :D

I'll do the 'big reveal' before Saturday evening.....
    Edit: I've got access to a Daphne blue and a surf green equivalent now, just to confuse matters. This is gonna be a hard decision.
  • Was just thinking about surf green the other day. 

If oly white is overdone these days, so is daphne blue; ergo surf green is the new black.

;)
    I'm really tempted. It's not surf green though. It's simply called 'sky' and is used in aircraft interiors! It's damn close to my eye however and having held it against the tort guard goes very well. I can always change it easily enough if I don't like it I suppose. Thanks for the input.
    The sky wasn't gonna work.
    Anyway, I've committed and ordered 1/2 litre of basecoat called pastel green. The RAL code is 6019. 
    Here's the colour:

• usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    I likes it!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.