Belated NGD - it's passed the probation period!

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Van_HaydenVan_Hayden Frets: 437
    Thanks guys - pretty pleased with this. It's been a well looked after guitar.

@fretfinder this ones a bit fatter than a typical 60s taper gibson.

@bertie I was thinking BKP.....,

Gold's growing on me - the whole vibes more 355 than 335 with the ebony. At least it's not got a flame top...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    JookyChap;13158" said:
    That's a beaut - crazy good for that money too...
    Yeah quite pleased - especially as I got double that for the 335 it replaces! I have to say this is at least an equal to the gibson.
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    Van_Hayden;13889" said:
    [quote="JookyChap;13158"]That's a beaut - crazy good for that money too...
    Yeah quite pleased - especially as I got double that for the 335 it replaces! I have to say this is at least an equal to the gibson.
    [/quote]

The yammie guitars in that range at that time blew most 335s out of the water. Id go as far to say that the wake up call was a major reason for Gibson's current survival.
  • ROOGROOG Frets: 557
    Nice one, and good price too. Currently contemplating one my self. Regarding its build quality, putting it up against the Gibson I'd say the Yamaha is hard to beat. 

• OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10386
    tFB Trader
    Nice instrument ... I've always had a soft spot for Yamaha semis. Good GAS!
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

Yeah - really like it. Still maintain that a great gibson is a fantastic guitar that's really hard to beat, I know a man with a 63 Historic 335 that blows the socks of my Yamaha but he won't sell it... . Trouble is the great gibsons don't come along that often.

The build on Jap stuff is so good (although the binding isn't always that great - they tend to use a black band on the inside of the binding to help hide filler, on a top end Benedetto it'll be cream on the inside donut stands out) but the QA before it goes out the door is superb. You never get the feeling that "that'll do" will do!
  • BluesyDaveBluesyDave Frets: 411
    Lovely looking Guitar you have Van.  I agree with you on the Jap built Guitars.  I've owned a few over the years and they've all been very good......wish I still had a few of them  :(
    No Darling....I've had that ages.
  • I love Yamaha. 
  • BasherBasher Frets: 1206
    A lovely looking hunk of lumber.

I like my SA2200 a lot. Don't mind the gold and flame too much. Along with the ebony and whiff of quality I think it adds to the "six string gin palace" vibe. Would prefer a nice plain cherry finish, a-la-355 but am quite happy with the sunburst.

I know that you'll probably replace the pickups but I would be interested as to what you make of the stock units. Would also love to hear some sound clips at some point.
    The pickups in this one aren't that bad - for stock pickups. They're not particularly balanced, and the necks way too hot and a bit muddy. So coming from a point of view that I expected rubbish jap pickups, I'm quite surprised. It'll sound a lot better with a set of hand wound pickups though, as the actual acoustic sound if the guitar is great.
  • mike257mike257 Frets: 374
    Congrats, it's a looker! Occasionally get the pleasure of borrowing my brother's SA2000S, the Yamaha semis of that era are just wonderful instruments. I wouldn't be rushing in to changing anything on it if it was mine!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    SA1000S - nice! I was looking for one but they're super rare!