Wrong power supply

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• DaevidJDaevidJ Frets: 414
    So separated the ends so it did not short and plugged the supply in.  No luck... it seems as dead as a very dead thing :(
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72323
    Does the LED work? If not I would suspect the voltage regulator next - it looks like one next to the round yellow cap, where the wires from the power socket go to. If you're not up on replacing surface-mount components I would pass at this point though! If it's not that, all bets are off and you could be looking at replacing one of more of the chips.

This really does show why a shunt protection diode is a poor to useless method of preventing reverse voltage damage.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    The LED does not work sadly.  I have contacted EQD who should hopefully be getting back to me soon...  Thank you for your help though, it has been enlightening even if it has not gone the way i planned.
  • 4114Effects4114Effects Frets: 3131
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    Does the LED work? If not I would suspect the voltage regulator next - it looks like one next to the round yellow cap, where the wires from the power socket go to. If you're not up on replacing surface-mount components I would pass at this point though! If it's not that, all bets are off and you could be looking at replacing one of more of the chips.

This really does show why a shunt protection diode is a poor to useless method of preventing reverse voltage damage.
    That's just the 3.3v regulator for the digital power rail to the fv1 chip. Rest will be standard 9v for the op-amps. 

If EQD aren't interested then I'm happy to take a look. 
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1631

"This really does show why a shunt protection diode is a poor to useless method of preventing reverse voltage damage. "

It WOULD work IC if it was allied with an in line fusible resistor but, "pennies again" of course. Sadly it looks as though the rest of the pedal is borked. That is partly the result of SM technology, the chips are simply not as rugged as DIL ICs (even better in holders which shunt more heat) but if "we" want compact and bijoux and CHEAP ???

Dave.

• It's not a cheap pedal though. This really surprises me, I'd have thought it would be bulletproof. 

I remember using the wrong polarity on an ibanez phaser/flanger. Weird box of very cool noises. It looked like the diode was burnt out but it actually is still able to protect from reverse polarity (as discovered when I redid the board) and still works fine with the proper supply. Not sure if it's designed in a different way or I'm just very lucky...
    edited March 2017
    4114Effects said:

That's just the 3.3v regulator for the digital power rail to the fv1 chip. Rest will be standard 9v for the op-amps.
    I'm hoping the regulator has shorted too - basically like a second diode - and is protecting the other chips, but if it's not that then at least one of the chips is probably cooked. It doesn't look good at this point though I have to say .

ecc83 said:

It WOULD work IC if it was allied with an in line fusible resistor but, "pennies again" of course.
    Certainly, but that's two components where only one - a series diode - is really needed, and it would still mean replacing something to get the pedal working again.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Have now heard back from the distributor who is based in France. Their only suggestion is to pass it to a local repair center for diagnosis.  Earthquaker think it would probably be just the 2n4001 diode needing replacing. Kinda at a loss what to do. 
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28172
    I don't understand why people don't use the Geofex pretty-good-protection scheme. One teeny MOSFET, one resistor, utter immunity to the wrong power supply without damage to the effect circuit, the protection circuit or the power supply.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    DaevidJ said:
    Have now heard back from the distributor who is based in France. Their only suggestion is to pass it to a local repair center for diagnosis.  Earthquaker think it would probably be just the 2n4001 diode needing replacing. Kinda at a loss what to do. 
    Have you not already had an offer from @4114Effects to look at it for free?
    Yup, have contacted him :) 
    A big shout out to @4114Effects for fixing my Afterneath, you are awesome :D Also much thanks to EQD for supplying a replacement board for very little cost!
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Excellent! Hopefully EQD will now think about how to better protect their pedals from this easy mistake to make...

• clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    So, @4114Effects, is your offer of fixing busted pedals for free open to the rest of us?

Joking of course, nice one stepping up! :)