'Replica's , copies , fakes and friends

What's Hot

Comments

• TrotterTrotter Frets: 516
    Trotter said:
    this thread should just about answer your question.. http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/93315/

*runs off and hides under a big pile of coats*
    I read the opening blog then immediately thought 'I bet I know where this will go to next'
    I'm sorry, I just couldn't resist. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • moogie72moogie72 Frets: 77
    Seems like I done the seller a service, advertising it haha.

its not about purists is it, a fake is a fake. It was made with 1 intention ...to deceive 

the makers of anything fake just want a pay off, they don't care if it looks nice or sounds genuine, is highly flammable or has lead paint....for those who like licking a nice guitar

and given that most folk on here know their guitars etc, it's easy to scoff

i feel for the folk who save up for a dream, and end up with a nightmare!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14245
    tFB Trader
    Trotter said:
    Trotter said:
    this thread should just about answer your question.. http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/93315/

*runs off and hides under a big pile of coats*
    I read the opening blog then immediately thought 'I bet I know where this will go to next'
    I'm sorry, I just couldn't resist. 
    I knew some one would do it - no issues at my end - made me smile
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4670
    moogie72 said:

its not about purists is it, a fake is a fake. It was made with 1 intention ...to deceive 

the makers of anything fake just want a pay off, they don't care if it looks nice or sounds genuine, is highly flammable or has lead paint....for those who like licking a nice guitar

and what if i buy it with the sole intention of modding it and playing it?  does that still make it a nightmare? 

flame retardant suit at the ready 
    moogie72 said:

and what if i buy it with the sole intention of modding it and playing it?  does that still make it a nightmare? 

flame retardant suit at the ready 
    Yep I understand totally , but while your at it, grab a sander.....remove anything pretending to be Gibson serials , baranding etc. 

And its it's not really a nightmare if you know it's fake and what you doing.

i know lots of different angles to this, but I'm sure you'd be gutted to find out your brand new Versace snake skin pants were really Chinese frog skin 
    NOT if i only  paid the price for Chinese frog skin pants 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Good point...because they were frog skin ? Or cause they said Versace on tho? 

Spose im just not down with understand why anyone would remove a squire badge to stick the word fender on either
  • Several Facebook groups are full of fakes.  Mostly Fenders
    At the end of the day its a guitar, and for me, if its not sold as a Gibson, which its not, then its just a guitar.
  • Several Facebook groups are full of fakes.  Mostly Fenders
    My local one certainly is. I raised it with the Admins & they said that "Fenders and Gibsons are OK as they never do anything about it, but we take down any Rickenbackers".

It seemed to be missing the point to me- it's copyright infringement and is illegal to sell. 

I'm sure I read somewhere that if you buy a "replica/fake/whatever you want to call it" off ebay. Then once it's arrived you report it to ebay as a fake (with sufficient evidence) even if it was advertised as such ebay will give you a refund and instruct you to destroy the item... how they verify the destruction I don't know.

yep he says it a replica and is priced so, and yep if you got it then it's fine you know your beans...but there are those out there who would buy to give it a pop on the secondhand market and make a fast buck reselling as a Gibson 
    my point being if you buy one and you know it's fake then you should keep it. And not send it back into the world, let's face it if you hit last orders with just enough for a pint and the barman says one of your £1 is a fake...it's a clusterF innit! 
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    anyway i have made him an offer  if he accepts then expect a NGD soon :-))
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Is it right or wrong of me to ask him on sales commission for a fake ....hmmm 
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14245
    tFB Trader

I'm sure I read somewhere that if you buy a "replica/fake/whatever you want to call it" off ebay. Then once it's arrived you report it to ebay as a fake (with sufficient evidence) even if it was advertised as such ebay will give you a refund and instruct you to destroy the item... how they verify the destruction I don't know.

Image result for hendrix sets fire to a guitar
    verification of a fake sold on e-bay and reported by Jimi
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2378
    I long since gave up policing the internet fake Fender's. Initially it annoyed me having seen dozens and dozens of buyers pay $700-900 for fake Fender Custom Shop necks, I posted these everywhere, contacted the sellers, contacted the buyers but still they all persisted. Some of the unfortunate buyers on ebay realised they had fakes others buried their heads despite me having confirmation from Fender C.S themselves. These went out all over the globe, Coda Music ended up with one for sale till I pointed it out to them. The fakes were that good, just a few tiny details were wrong but unless you'd dissected dozens like me then you could be forgiven for missing them. Eventually they seemed to die down despite correcting a couple of the tells having read on a forum where I'd foolishly posted the detail. I guess the seller who even went as far as having an ex Masterbuilders name in his email address made enough and quit. Probably sold a couple of hundred over a couple of years so a nice earner. Every now and then one will surface for sale though, last fake I saw had the Todd Krause logo on it. Buyer beware as always, and never be afraid to ask on forums for help if in doubt.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371

I think it works like this.
    You buy a Replica on ebay. You then contact ebay and say "I have bought a counterfeit Les Paul made by (name of builder) but I suspect it was made by BobBurst".
    Ebay then say "We don't care who made it. It now has to be destroyed"
    You then destroy the guitar, and provide evidence....or you send it to the Copywrite owner (Gibson) who destroy the guitar and confirm to ebay. Ebay pay for Gibson to destroy the guitar.
    Ebay then refund your £7000.

Does anybody disagree?   =)

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24275
    In case nobody noticed...

Yesterday the govt said they were increasing the penalties for copyright infringement.

Max sentence is going up to 10 years prison. (currently it is 2 years)

Obviously that is aimed at the guys churning out thousands of hooky DVDs and running the Chibson factory type, rather than the dishonest ebayer with a fake logo on an Encore type.

Even so, harsher penalties will trickle down the offence list to the bottom. It will also make it easier to sue for a civil tort between parties on the grounds that the offence is taken more seriously.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12666
    Frankly, the only folks I've ever really encountered who get so worked up about Chibsons/Fake Fenders etc is you lot. Seriously...

I think some of you need to calm down a bit, as there are worse crimes in this world!
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    impmann said:
    Frankly, the only folks I've ever really encountered who get so worked up about Chibsons/Fake Fenders etc is you lot. Seriously...

I think some of you need to calm down a bit, as there are worse crimes in this world!
    Yeah - that LP with the nude bondage thing on for a start off!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom