WGS Veteran 10 vs Jen C10R vs P10R

ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 886
Anyone compared these spleakers, pros and cons? I play clean most of the time, moderate, decent'ish volume at home with a 2x6V6 12w amp. Looking for that bell chime and clarity. Or, should I go with a more efficient speaker that plays well at lower volumes. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3157
    tFB Trader
    Yes, I have.

Out of the box they're all actually pretty similar, although the Jensens have a raspy, papery fuzz when driven, something that the Veteren seems to steer clear from.

Once they're broken in the Jensens REALLY improve, but not as much as the Veteren does.

If it was me, I'd be looking to spend an extra £26 on the G10C which is a far superior speaker to the others.
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

• ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 886
    RiftAmps said:
    Yes, I have.

Out of the box they're all actually pretty similar, although the Jensens have a raspy, papery fuzz when driven, something that the Veteren seems to steer clear from.

Once they're broken in the Jensens REALLY improve, but not as much as the Veteren does.

If it was me, I'd be looking to spend an extra £26 on the G10C which is a far superior speaker to the others.
    Thanks for the advice Chris.  Does the G10C perform well at low to moderate volume, or is it one of those speakers that needs quite a bit of volume through it? At the moment I'm using a 1x12 open cab with a C12Q, so going down to the 10" G10C in the 12' cab would be pretty decent? Dropping speaker size to tighten things up a bit, also playing at home.
  • I wondered why you didn't include it? - FWIW: I asked Vaughn at WGS for 10" speaker recommendations and he said the G10C is by far his favourite, he said it's even pretty close to the Alnico.
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4701

I wouldn't mind trying a G10C, I fancy a change from the Ragin Cajun I have, which is nice but a little bland.

The Jensen is very nice at lower volume as I remember,  but does get ratty when pushed.  They are cheap though, I occasionally think about getting one to stick in my amp in between gigs, which to be fair can be weeks. 

tFB Trader
    Zoolooter said:
    RiftAmps said:
    Yes, I have.

Thanks for the advice Chris.  Does the G10C perform well at low to moderate volume, or is it one of those speakers that needs quite a bit of volume through it? At the moment I'm using a 1x12 open cab with a C12Q, so going down to the 10" G10C in the 12' cab would be pretty decent? Dropping speaker size to tighten things up a bit, also playing at home.
    The low volume performance of the G10C is excellent, and at 96db isn't earth-shatteringly loud either. Absolutely stunning in multiples, especially paired with the G10Cs.
    Rift Amplification
    www.riftamps.co.uk

• riscadoriscado Frets: 180
    edited March 2017
    Your playing context, sounds extremely similar to mine. I'm absolutely delighted with the 10" speakers I've been using, the eminence-alessandro ga-sc64 10"

If you like the old jensen red/gold labelled c10n speakers (which I do), these new eminence/alessandro are amazing.

Another option which is probably good, but I have tried is the jupiter 10sc.
  • RiftAmps said:

The low volume performance of the G10C is excellent, and at 96db isn't earth-shatteringly loud either. Absolutely stunning in multiples, especially paired with the G10Cs.
    Thanks for this but was curious what pairing you meant here - G10C's with what?

Also would be interested to hear what you think of C's vs A's (am thinking about 1 x G10C and 1xG10A in a 2x10)

ta!
  • ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 886
    riscado said:
    Your playing context, sounds extremely similar to mine. I'm absolutely delighted with the 10" speakers I've been using, the eminence-alessandro ga-sc64 10"

If you like the old jensen red/gold labelled c10n speakers (which I do), these new eminence/alessandro are amazing.

Another option which is probably good, but I have tried is the jupiter 10sc.
    Just been reading up on the Emi Alessandro, sounds like it could be a great match for what I'm looking for. Yes,definitely  would like to try one. Ideally I'd try all three - wgs vet 10, wgs g10c and the Emi. A broken in Jen c10q wouldn't go a miss either.
    tFB Trader
    RiftAmps said:

Thanks for this but was curious what pairing you meant here - G10C's with what?

Also would be interested to hear what you think of C's vs A's (am thinking about 1 x G10C and 1xG10A in a 2x10)

ta!
    A lowercase problem....

Pair the G10C with the G10CS!

The G10A also works brilliantly paired with the G10C, in fact that's my preferred setup. BUT the G10A is now massively expensive so might not be viable for you?
    Rift Amplification
    www.riftamps.co.uk

• strat84strat84 Frets: 314
    Another vote for the Emi GA SC64! Been through god knows how many 10s in my Super Reverb and a pair of these with a pair of Emi 1028 alnico is the best I've tried, that goes for the 12" version as well. Again been through loads of 12s and find the GAs perfect for Blackface amps - They're bright, but aren't too trebley which some Jensen style speakers can be, they seem to have a touch more mids. The cleans are beautiful and become nice and thick when you turn up. They sound superb with overdrive pedals as well ;-)

I did have a pair of WGS G10c in there but they added too much weight in a 4x10 setup, sounded good though, a touch loud maybe which wasn't what I was looking for in that amp but as a 1x10 I think it would be great.