What's the best type of amp to complement a j20 for recording?

What's Hot
ruomaruoma Frets: 67
edited March 2017 in Amps
So I want a second amp to accompany my J20, primarily for recording purposes.

For cleans I would probably just use one amp panned mono, but for gain I would double the tracks and pan them hard left/right. I'm a huge fan of overdrive and fuzz and want a combination that can do bluesy to heavy QOTSA sounds well together.

What family of amps would work well with the J20 circuit, so as to sound bigger and more but not create an eq imbalance in the stereo spectrum? Right now I've got a goodsell super 17 on my radar (tweed/vox hybrid) and a louis electric columbia.

I'm a bit worried a VOX flavored amp would be too middy with the J20 and not be as big sounding, too focussed sounding.
I'm a bit worried a BLACKFACE amp like the louis would be too bassy and create an imbalance in the stereo field and also not break up nicely.

Ideally I'd like the amp to sort of react in the same way to gain pedals volume wise, so I can just stomp on one pedal and get both amps going to the same certain degree, despite different gain characters.

Any advice? What do you guys run your tweeds with??
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33799
    Record the amps at their optimum level for breakup and mix the levels of each amp during mixing.

I generally don't record guitars in stereo, they usually sound thinner than double/multi tracking through different amps.
    Use filters to give each amp it's sonic space, combine them on a bus for shared reverb so they gel and it should sound great.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    I pair the Lazy J with a Marshall type Amp 
    somethinf with a bit of mid range grunt 
    like octatonic I would mix them in mono and then double track them left and right
    if you wanted to bring them together a nice stereo delay on the guitars bus will give the whole thing a coherent but massive sound
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3044
    The last time I did any recording, I had two (different) mics on the same cab, panned left and right. It sounded awesome.
  • ruomaruoma Frets: 67
    Thanks guys. For what it's worth, Ive been experimenting with software amps. Did a recording with the j20 and then double tracked it straight into my sound interface using THD3 as the amp plugin. 

I found the pairing with a blackface and Marshall style the best, then with a second tweed and last with the vox. It's not a true reference but it's the best I can do at home :)
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    Randall Satan. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    Randall Satan. 
    Lol
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    ruoma said:
    So I want a second amp to accompany my J20, primarily for recording purposes.

For cleans I would probably just use one amp panned mono, but for gain I would double the tracks and pan them hard left/right. I'm a huge fan of overdrive and fuzz and want a combination that can do bluesy to heavy QOTSA sounds well together.

What family of amps would work well with the J20 circuit, so as to sound bigger and more but not create an eq imbalance in the stereo spectrum? Right now I've got a goodsell super 17 on my radar (tweed/vox hybrid) and a louis electric columbia.

I'm a bit worried a VOX flavored amp would be too middy with the J20 and not be as big sounding, too focussed sounding.
    I'm a bit worried a BLACKFACE amp like the louis would be too bassy and create an imbalance in the stereo field and also not break up nicely.

Ideally I'd like the amp to sort of react in the same way to gain pedals volume wise, so I can just stomp on one pedal and get both amps going to the same certain degree, despite different gain characters.

Any advice? What do you guys run your tweeds with??
    In Seriousness I think you might be better off just tweaking the one amp and multi tracking, doubling parts with different pickups selected or two types of drive pedal etc, if you like the sound of the LazyJ just tweak it.  

Its cheaper and will prob sound bigger. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    Alright folks, still looking for a second amp! Help me decide!

J20 + Louis Electric Princeton/Deluxe
                           or 
    J20 + Vox AC15 hw 60th??

Which will give me the most coherent sound?
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    edited August 2017
    the best and iconic recordings all seem to have been with any old crap lying around at the time... That.
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

I sold the J20, but the awesome Rambler remains.