TAD 4AB3C1B long spring tank - much difference with accutronics?

noisepolluternoisepolluter Frets: 798
I was impressed with the improvement when I replaced the short spring accutronics tank in a blues junior with the TAD equivalent previously.

Considering doing the same with the deluxe reverb - not that the existing one sounds bad to begin with! I do like dark reverbs with a long dwell though, rather than bright slapback type sounds and I've also noticed the accutronics tank does feed back quite easily at higher volumes or the slightest jog of the amp.

Anyone used the long spring TAD for fender amps?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31618
    I put a TAD in my 68 Custom Princeton and it was much sweeter than the stock one - less of a metallic "ring" to it, and definitely a touch darker overall.

I could now use the full range of reverb without any unpleasantness, right up to comedy surf levels. 
  • Ta - for under £30 it sounds like a worthwhile upgrade then.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72427
    The biggest improvement is that unlike the Accutronics, the TAD won't break at an inconvenient time, like at a gig.

The modern Accutronics ones are just crap - so much so that after fifty years, probably their biggest customer stopped buying them and switched to Ruby, which are the same as the TAD ones…. Fender.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734

I've AB the TAD tank with an Accutronics, and the TAD sounded smoother and less "trashy" than the Accutronics.

As ICBM says the TAD is much better built, and I routinely use the TAD tanks for repairs.

• noisepolluternoisepolluter Frets: 798
    edited March 2017
    I might also lay in the relevant 12ax7 or/and at7. I think I last replaced one or possibly both a couple of years ago. Couldn't swear to it but noise-to-signal on reverb seems to be creeping up. Odd as the EHX 6V6s which went in there about 5 years ago were certified tickety-boo when serviced a couple of months ago. Was going to go for bog standard JJs unless anyone strongly recommends different?
  • markjmarkj Frets: 914
    I put one in my blues deluxe in December. It's well worth doing, it's far better than the stock tank.