London luthier to look at my acoustic?

What's Hot
Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
Apart from Feline Guitars, what other London luthiers are there that are worth going to with my acoustic? I wanna price up a complete fix up job, coz it plays like a boat anchor but sounds brilliant. I've played some other acoustics out there and none of them so far have sounded anywhere near as good. So I want to get this one fixed (action, frets, new nut, etc...)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    Try LA guitars in Finchley

https://www.laguitars.com/
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4317
    Charlie Chandler in Hampton. It's the wrong end of London for you but they also offer a collection and delivery service as well if you wanted to use it. 

I used to take my Lowden there for a yearly set up. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4719
    There's that bloke in Lewisham with the same name as someone famous but I can't remember what it is.

He did great work for me and is the real thing.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4719
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72513
    Be aware that one of the reasons it sounds so good is probably *because* it's a pig to play…

:)

Up to a point, anyway - while it's certainly true that you can get an acoustic to play pretty close to how an electric does and sound good, they always do sound better still with a higher action and usually a tiny bit more relief, so don't be surprised if it doesn't sound quite so amazing if you improve the playability too much...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BlaendulaisBlaendulais Frets: 3325
    Richmond Guitar Workshop.  The luthiers from Chandlers and inventors of the mighty Echoline Pedals
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    Camden Guitars on Chalk Farm Rd have an in house luthier. I've never used them , but one of my mates swears by them and he's a professional musician.
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11619
    edited March 2017 tFB Trader
    Apart from Feline :/

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ColsCols Frets: 7082
    +1 for Richmond Guitars; it's run by the two former guitar techs from Chandler's, and they did an incredible job on my Les Paul recently.  Full fret dress, recut and polished the bone nut, reseated the Schafer roller bridge I'd (poorly) installed and tidied up the electrics.  Their attention to detail is superb.
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3313
    Charlie Chandler - he's worked on both my electrics and acoustics for over 20 yrs.

Our Jonathan at Feline should also be in the running.
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2929
    tFB Trader
    LA Guitars are good, been making acoustics for decades.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28341
    I'd prefer Feline for anything, but it's a PITA for me to get to.
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    Do you fettle acoustics also? - good to know if so!
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    I already know you'd do a good job! Can't go giving you all my bloody money! ;)
    ICBM said:
    Be aware that one of the reasons it sounds so good is probably *because* it's a pig to play…

:)

Up to a point, anyway - while it's certainly true that you can get an acoustic to play pretty close to how an electric does and sound good, they always do sound better still with a higher action and usually a tiny bit more relief, so don't be surprised if it doesn't sound quite so amazing if you improve the playability too much...
    How much truth is there to this? Really I'm thinking it needs a fret dress, a new nut, a new bridge (there is a phat crack in it!!), and new strings and setup. Not looking to cut any of the wood out of it or anything!

Seriously... this thing shreds my hands up, and I can't play it for much longer than an hour. Which sucks, because there is a ton of acoustic stuff I want to work on and can't really do it. :(
  • BenSirAmosBenSirAmos Frets: 412
    I like LA guitars in Finchley too
  • Drew_TNBD said:
    How much truth is there to this? Really I'm thinking it needs a fret dress, a new nut, a new bridge (there is a phat crack in it!!), and new strings and setup. Not looking to cut any of the wood out of it or anything!

Seriously... this thing shreds my hands up, and I can't play it for much longer than an hour. Which sucks, because there is a ton of acoustic stuff I want to work on and can't really do it. :(

There needs to be enough clearance to not get fret buzz and a certain amount of tension in the strings to get a nice sound, as floppy acoustic strings sound a bit weak.

I just had a fret dress, new nut, and new bridge on mine.  The action is 2.5mm on the bass side and 1.7mm on the treble, this is marginally lower than before and it still sounds fantastic to me.  I needed the new bridge because it's a Chris Alsop overhang jobbie (to intonate at C# standard), and being honest I fudged up the nut trying to cut it myself and cut it too low...  
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72513
    Drew_TNBD said:

If it's that bad the chances are that you can improve it a lot without affecting the tone. Just don't expect it to play like an electric.

Basically the problem is that on an acoustic you can never get the action as low as on an electric because the top vibrates at the same time as the strings do, which reduces the clearance between the strings and the frets since the string movement is thus effectively increased. You get a loss of clean vibration and full tone before the fret buzz is actually audible as buzz, too - more so than on an electric where it tends not to be as audible through the amp.

Add to that the need to use heavier strings to get the fullest tone - not always the heaviest, in fact overly heavy strings can restrict the top movement sometimes, but bank on at least 12s to get the best tone - and you will always find it tougher on your hands. 11s can be a workable compromise depending on the guitar.

The biggest improvement you can make is usually to the nut, it's rare to find one cut well and almost unknown for it to be perfect, from the factory - and it makes a huge difference, more so than on an electric because the heavier strings are even stiffer to bend down to the frets over the short distance to the first few frets.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Aye, I don't really expect it to be as easy to play as an acoustic, but this feels quite ridiculous! Especially when compared to some of the Martins and Taylors I've played in the shops... but... they just don't sound as good!!
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3497
    Go to see this guy

http://www.okumuraguitars.com

Japanese chap who is the resident repair guy at Ivor's/the one for Santa Cruz UK repairs as well (I think) and has his own workshop in Battersea.