Sometimes checking the simple things...

BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
I learned something today.

Ignore the fact this was on a bass - it's just as relevant for guitar.

I noticed a slight grounding issue on my 64 P - seemed just a bit noisier than the other P I have. I thought it might be because the pickup is a bit hotter, but it seemed like a grounding issue. There was just a bit more background noise - and some slight buzzing when I put my hand on the strings. 

Out came the multimeter. Checked continuity on the 74 P. Bridge, strings, pots, screws - everything had a continuity of 000. Fine.

Checked the 64 P. Pots and screws - 000. Strings came out as a consistent 007. Odd. Pulled the scratch plate - continuity between the ground solder for the bridge wire and the jack - 000. Ugh. 

Slackened off the strings and unscrewed the bridge.

I'm pretty sure I am the first person to ever take the bridge off. As the last screw came out and I gave it a tug I could hear the lacquer letting go, just a very subtle cracking. Lo and behold, the bare end of the bridge earth wire had sunk into the lacquer and was not making a good connection. A slight one - but not a good one. Reseated it in a new location and popped the bridge back on. Continuity between strings and jack? 000. 

So there you go. Sometimes you just have to check the simple things....
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    You've buggered the originality now, the other groove proves it's not 100% untouched.

:)

I always poke the end of the wire down one of the screw holes, so it makes a more positive contact than just being trapped under the plate.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    You know what @ICBM - I tried to do that, but it was a bit stiff (snigger) and didn't fancy pulling the scratch plate again to let some slack in. If it does it again it will get shoved down the screw hole. 

Just thought I'd post it so folks have something obvious to check off on the list of things if there's a bit of a grounding issue that is driving them mad. 

Turns out wire pressed into 50+ year old lacquer sinks in quite a bit...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom