Buying a beaten up Acoustic (Martin D18) - Okay, or should I avoid?

What's Hot
SquireJapanSquireJapan Frets: 720
So, I'm in the states for a little bit, and I've always fancied a D18 - I spy this : http://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Martin/Vintage-1970s-1973-Martin-D-18-Acoustic-Guitar.gc

I know nothing about acoustics - is this repairable, and is it worth it (in the sense of does it still get me a nice sounding guitar, rather than resale)?

I don't mind how the thing looks, I actually quite like stuff with a bit of character, especially when it's cheap - I just don't want to buy something that can't really be repaired to a good standard.

Hope that makes sense ...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    If you go private sale over here you should get a '73 D18 with no issues at all for £1500 or so. Possibly less depending on condition. 

The ad suggests you are going to be dropping about £1k on it. You then have to risk customs on the way back/get it on the plane etc. 

If you don't do the work yourself you will have to pay someone to fix it - it will be hundreds to start with, and who knows what else they might find. So lets say you drop an extra £500 on it - same price as a sound one. What if it sounds like a dog after all the effort?

I'd buy a good 'un over here.

(Just trying to be the voice of reason in your head ;) )
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14314
    tFB Trader
    If you go private sale over here you should get a '73 D18 with no issues at all for £1500 or so. Possibly less depending on condition. 

The ad suggests you are going to be dropping about £1k on it. You then have to risk customs on the way back/get it on the plane etc. 

If you don't do the work yourself you will have to pay someone to fix it - it will be hundreds to start with, and who knows what else they might find. So lets say you drop an extra £500 on it - same price as a sound one. What if it sounds like a dog after all the effort?

Customs should not be an issue on a guitar with Indian rosewood back/sides/fingerboard with no additional CITES certificate required (either leaving the USA or arriving in the UK) - get the dealer to ensure this info is on the receipt, Plus the date of manufacture and serial number and it is not an issue - It would be preferable to get it back on the plane as hand luggage as against the hold of the plane but you might need to chat to check in staff on this 

As far as a good repair job goes , then I'm sure certain guys in the UK can help - but to me at this stage then how does it feel and sound - If it does not stand out from a crowd with such fine attributes regarding teh playing experience then I would pass - If it is awesome , then it is well worth pursuing and finding a good UK tech to repair accordingly
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5630
    Why buy a 70s Martin? The new ones are much better.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

Customs should not be an issue on a guitar with Indian rosewood back/sides/fingerboard with no additional CITES certificate required (either leaving the USA or arriving in the UK) - get the dealer to ensure this info is on the receipt, Plus the date of manufacture and serial number and it is not an issue - It would be preferable to get it back on the plane as hand luggage as against the hold of the plane but you might need to chat to check in staff on this 

As far as a good repair job goes , then I'm sure certain guys in the UK can help - but to me at this stage then how does it feel and sound - If it does not stand out from a crowd with such fine attributes regarding teh playing experience then I would pass - If it is awesome , then it is well worth pursuing and finding a good UK tech to repair accordingly
    Re: customs - I was actually thinking more that if you're an honest Joe then you should of course declare it - wasn't referencing CITES. You could claim it was yours and you hadn't just bought it, but if you did, then it's customs duty and VAT to pay....

For me, it would need to play and sound like an absolute corker before even contemplating it. If it was mediocre, or average, it might become a mediocre or average money pit...
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11462
    Brize said:
    Why buy a 70s Martin? The new ones are much better.
    This.

I played some early 70's D28s when I bought my HD28V which was similar money.  The new one was a much better guitar.

Martin changed the material used for the bridge plate around 1968 I think.  They didn't change it back until 1988 or thereabouts.  That period is generally regarded as a low point in their history.

If you want an 18 spec dreadnought then the new D18 (post 2012) has the pre-war style scalloped bracing and is a much better guitar.  That seems to be for sale for £2199 new.  You ought to be able to pick one up for £1500 or slightly less.

You might want to move this to the acoustic section.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14314
    tFB Trader
    Re: customs - I was actually thinking more that if you're an honest Joe then you should of course declare it - wasn't referencing CITES. You could claim it was yours and you hadn't just bought it, but if you did, then it's customs duty and VAT to pay....

For me, it would need to play and sound like an absolute corker before even contemplating it. If it was mediocre, or average, it might become a mediocre or average money pit...
    I agree about it sounding and playing great at this stage - ie you are buying a bloomin' god box

Custom's might believe the 'I've had it ages' story due to its condition, but if they want proof then they will get their tax/duty etc accordingly - They might not even bother - who knows - depends on the day sometimes
    I agree about it sounding and playing great at this stage - ie you are buying a bloomin' god box

Custom's might believe the 'I've had it ages' story due to its condition, but if they want proof then they will get their tax/duty etc accordingly - They might not even bother - who knows - depends on the day sometimes
    Indeed - I was pointing out the customs thing as it's another factor. It could go either way, but if it doesn't go the OPs way, it's another £250 quid on the bill..
  • artiebearartiebear Frets: 810
    as already said, look for a post 2012 D18, great guitars and potentially a lot more lively than some 70's Martins can be.
    There's a really nice, practically mint post-2012 D-18 on Gumtree at the moment. The guy who's selling it has really looked after it, with a humidifier in the case. I went to look at it and was very close to buying it but opted for a new D-18 Golden Era instead. I think he wanted £1,400 to £1,450 for it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Brize said:
    There's a really nice, practically mint post-2012 D-18 on Gumtree at the moment. The guy who's selling it has really looked after it, with a humidifier in the case. I went to look at it and was very close to buying it but opted for a new D-18 Golden Era instead. I think he wanted £1,400 to £1,450 for it.
    I think the OP has his answer with this...
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3497
    IMO, I'd avoid buying that Martin.

Seems very over priced for what it is.  

If looking for a second hand 70's D-18, a quick search found this, and they'd probably we willing to listen to a reasonable offer
    https://www.forsyths.co.uk/guitars/acoustic-guitars/martin-guitars/128615-martin-d18-1974-px-.html
  • Do they even have it in stock? I tried to buy a s/h Stingray from Guitar Centre when I was in the States in November and got an email telling me they couldn't find it so were cancelling my order.
  • SquireJapanSquireJapan Frets: 720
    All - you're amazing. Not buying it :D

I'll wait and buy golden era one back in the UK. Far too much hassle it seams :/

I was hoping it would be an easy repair and then I'd have something solid for cheap, but it's really not that way at all ...

Thank you all!
  • KoaKoa Frets: 120
    I had a similar repaired D18 for a bit and to be honest it was never a great guitar and nor was my '72 D28. They looked very cool but lacked any real resonance. Good decision to leave it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

I'll wait and buy golden era one back in the UK.
    For what it's worth, my Martin D-18GE is the best acoustic that I own. Not cheap, though, and prices are going up.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72510
    My '71 D12-35 is really nice-sounding, but the 12-strings may be less affected by the overly heavy bridgeplate issue. It also has another classic 70s-Martin flaw, which is that the nut is very slightly wrongly positioned, so it has to be tuned by ear, or with a capo on - tune the open strings to a tuner and it sounds horrible when playing chords. Also bear in mind that no 70s Martins have truss rods, so you can't always get them as playable as you would like.

I don't think I'd pay over a grand for a 70s D-18 needing structural repairs, certainly not without being able to see it for myself first - and it will be well over a grand with shipping etc.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3594
    Depending on where the OP guitar has been living it is possible that coming to the UK climate would change it's health one way or the other. More moisture might close up the gaps but they might cause a warp somewhere else too. It's too much for the risk and the decision to leave it is a wise one IMHO.