Andertons-visiting-savvy people - a question...

What's Hot
TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7417
Hey, I'm heading to Guildford tomorrow to go to Andertons, and meeting another forumite there for an afternoon out. 

Couple of questions : 
1. If the shop parking is full (think they have 3-4 places out front?) where's best to park?
2. Is there a suitably good greasy-spoon type eatery nearby where we can meet up in advance? 

thanks!
Red ones are better. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26580
    edited March 2017
    Don't know about #2, but if you head down the road (to the left as you leave the shop), there's a pub who do eminently edible burgers.

Incidentally, if there's anything you specifically want to try, make sure you give them a call early that morning to request it so they have time to grab it from the warehouse if it's not on display. They do regular runs back and forth specifically for that purpose.
    <space for hire>
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    TimmyO said:
    Hey, I'm heading to Guildford tomorrow to go to Andertons, and meeting another forumite there for an afternoon out. 

Couple of questions : 
    1. If the shop parking is full (think they have 3-4 places out front?) where's best to park?
    2. Is there a suitably good greasy-spoon type eatery nearby where we can meet up in advance? 

thanks!
    1. On the road opposite, or there is a car park down a side street just opposite the store which is signposted
    2. The pub next door? They do good coffee...
    Don't know about #2, but if you head down the road (to the left as you leave the shop), there's a pub who do eminently edible burgers.

Forgot about the burgers - they are great!

I think "great" is a bit of an exaggeration, but then...all things are relative, I guess :)
    <space for hire>

I think "great" is a bit of an exaggeration, but then...all things are relative, I guess :)
    They are great compared to MacDondalds, or no burger at all - that's reasonably great in my book..
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214

They are great compared to MacDondalds, or no burger at all - that's reasonably great in my book..
    If you make it up to Edinburgh... The Cambridge Bar... just saying 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6881
    Theres a petrol station on the same side of the road as andertons heading away from the town centre. (Face andertons, turn left, past the pub, you'll see it). 

The road next to the petrol station has a few bays that look like residents only. Read the signs though but when I last went a couple months back a few of them had 2 hour max stays between their operating hours or no time limit for residents. 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    I usually park in the residential roads off the first left after the shop. There are some permit free bays. Artillery road and george road I think they are. 

Can we expect a new guitar/amp/fx day post?
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4184
    The nearest parking is the supermarket down the road on the left as you head into town, iirc that's 3 hrs stay
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    rico said:
    I usually park in the residential roads off the first left after the shop. There are some permit free bays. Artillery road and george road I think they are. 

If you are going to do the side roads, and you have time to check Google street view, then at least you'll be able to gauge how busy the parking gets.

Last time I was at Andertons (a couple of years ago), I parked in Wharf Road. I looked it up on street view, and lo, there's a new development on the left hand side that prob means more yellow lines or restrictions in Wharf Road. Hey ho, I can't keep up sometimes.

• darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11754
    Is going to Andertons the experience their Youtube channel makes it out to be?

I'd quite like to zip down to Guildford if it is, maybe when I eventually pick up an LP Standard!
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited March 2017

I'd quite like to zip down to Guildford if it is, maybe when I eventually pick up an LP Standard!
    I really like Andertons as a shopping experience - the staff have always been helpful, not pushy, and very friendly. 

The shop is nicely laid out and their stock control means if they say it's there then it is, and if it's in the warehouse then they will get it for you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7417

Incidentally, if there's anything you specifically want to try, make sure you give them a call early that morning to request it so they have time to grab it from the warehouse if it's not on display. They do regular runs back and forth specifically for that purpose.
    Yeah I called them at the end of last week and apparently the stuff I want to look at/try they keep on the shopfloor 
    Red ones are better. 
    Cheers chaps 
    Red ones are better. 

I really like Andertons as a shopping experience - the staff have always been helpful, not pushy, and very friendly. 

The shop is nicely laid out and their stock control means if they say it's there then it is, and if it's in the warehouse then they will get it for you.
    Same here - when Drew and I popped over to try/buy my Kraken, they were incredibly helpful and surprisingly efficient. We even got to try it out in the remortgage room.
    <space for hire>
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Same here - when Drew and I popped over to try/buy my Kraken, they were incredibly helpful and surprisingly efficient. We even got to try it out in the remortgage room.
    Lol - remortgage room. How true is that!

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389

They always have a lot of Gibbos in stock - they offered me a choice of 6 when I went to get a Goldtop standard.

And I'm the "other" forumite referred to - clip-on tuner, maybe a pedal at most
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    Jalapeno said:

They always have a lot of Gibbos in stock - they offered me a choice of 6 when I went to get a Goldtop standard.

Ha.

I'm hoping to come to a decision on an active speaker for my Helix, and bring one home. 
    Red ones are better. 
    TimmyO said:
    Jalapeno said:

Ha.

I'm hoping to come to a decision on an active speaker for my Helix, and bring one home. 
    Don't forget to pick them up before you buy...

I nearly had a culinary trombonist when I tried the Line 6 L3. I know it's overkill rather than the 2, but the 3 was freakishly heavy.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Yeah I looked up the L3 - too big/heavy for me, or I'd have had the ones in the classifieds. 
    Red ones are better.