Bone nuts and other options?

So I want to replace the nut on my Squier standard Tele.

Ive had to have the original filed because it was too high and watching it being done I realised its made out of cheese.
So, what are the benefits from fitting a bone nut? Id be looking at fitting a pre cut nut as this seems easier. Ive looked into other nuts as well, any recommendations?

Any thoughts?
A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553

No benefit to be had by replacing a fettled and properly cut plastic nut with an off the shelf precut bone nut.

• CorvusCorvus Frets: 2925
    tFB Trader
    Bone is less sticky and longer-lasting, but really wants the slots doing individually. The precut ones often have pretty rough ol' slots as well, some barely started etc.
  • I'm happy with bone or graphtec Tusq, though I've never A/B tested the differences.  

Pre-slotted doesn't mean it'll be optimal when you fit it.  You'll probably still have to do a little bit of filing to get the best results.  If you don't have the necessary files I'd talk to the tech you're using and ask about the price difference for them to make a nut for your vs you supplying a pre-cut nut that they fit and set up for you.  There might not be a great deal of difference and the main advantage comes from the slots being cut correctly.

I've fit 4 or 5 pre-cut nuts myself over the past couple of years and all of them have required a little filing.