2x8 vs 2x10 cab for home playing

What's Hot
jimificationjimification Frets: 161
edited March 2017 in Amps
Hello, I'm currently designing myself a small open backed combo that I'll build to house a kemper rack, small stereo amp  (Camplifier S2) and a couple of guitar speakers. It's for home use only, low to medium volume and I'm mostly playing clean to breakup tones (an EJ-ish range of gain, I suppose) I'm trying to get the design to be as compact as I can.

Currently on the fence about whether to go a bit larger with 2x10 speakers (current front runners for that are a WGS G10c and G10a pairing) or get the whole thing a bit smaller and lighter with 2x8" (probably WGS G8c or Jupiter 8sc) So far, as proof of concept, I've been using the KPA / Camplifier into a vaporiser 2x10" cab that I've wired for stereo and it sounds very good (even with the stock speakers).

On my rough 3d models, going 2x8 loses about 2"-3" off the cabinet in each dimension and about 5kg in weight - quite a nice saving and I'm wondering what I'd lose out in sound? (some bass I guess? some fullness?)

Any thoughts or experiences would be appreciated before I get the black and decker workmate out. ta!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7769
    No experience of a 2X8 but much of the stereo experience will be lost in a single cab no? You considered two ten inch cabs so you can space them? They will also stack vertically for when you want to put them away and you can use a single for a very portable rig.
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1771
    I've not tried a 2x8" cab but in general I've never heard an 8" that sounded particularly good unless you're after the classic Champ sound. 10" would definitely give a fuller sound and IMO would be worth the extra size/weight.
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I recently put a pair of the WGS 8's into my fender bandmaster head. Bit of a squeeze but it works. I wasn't expecting too much from them, but have been really pleasantly surprised at how well they hold up the low end and how full the sound is from them. Not sure how well they would cope with higher gain stuff but they do a grand job of crunchy blues.
    The Swamp City Shakers
  • Thanks guys! All good points I think. The extra weight is probably not that much of a consideration as I won't be carrying it much. I'll have another look I think to see how much bigger the 2x 10"'s makes it - the 2x8 sounds like it might work well but the 2x10 does sound like the safer option.

Cheers!

• Why not one of each?
  • Why not one of each?
    Maybe not a bad idea actually, ta!