Tested out some FRFR/active speakers with a Helix today

What's Hot
TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7419
My Andertons foray was a success - I was able to get set up in a room with a Helix, A 3k PRS (they didn't have a DGT and I hadn't taken mine so I grabbed the nicest looking one I could find with 2 HBs and coil taps) 

Atomic CLR (I was pleased about this as the site shows no stock but they had one) - £999
Line 6 L2t (this is the one I thought I might have my head turned by and go for) - £852
Yamaha DXR10 - £511
Yamaha DBR10 - £366

In the order I tried them out:

Atomic CLR  - sounded really good, natural, nothing that made me think it was anything other than an amp. Thin on features, but the 'best' sound. 

Line 6 L2t - a surprise, in that as soon as I played it sounded a *little* bit boxy and less pleasing (I had it in PA/reference mode). When I'd been trying the others then came back to it it 'knew' it was lying on the floor so put itself in 'monitor' mode which sounded worse, but easy to put back in PA/reference mode.

Yamaha DXR10 - given the experience of the bigger and more expensive L2t I was expecting this to sound more boxy again, but it definitely didn't. Sounded far more pleasing, a bit less big sounding than the Atomic but more 'different' than 'worse' - although that said I think if you made me say which sounded best/most pleasing I'd say the Atomic. But the DXR has more inputs, and is markedly lighter (I was manhandling them around setting them up and putting pairs side by side to compare and weight differences quickly became apparent) and the sound difference was definitely not 'double your money' better.

Yamaha DBR10 - initially I thought it sounded really really close to the DXR, while being even lighter still (although slightly less robust feeling construction and a simplified set of inputs)

So I stuck the 2 Yamahas next 2 each other and switch from one to the other - it turns out the DXR does (to me) sound a bit clearer and fuller.

So the Yamaha DXR10 was 2nd best sounding (but only just), 2nd lightest, and half the price of the Atomic. 

I went to the desk very happy with my decision, with my bank card out - only to discover that it was shop-floor model today or wait until the end of next week for a delivery.

So I've got one coming next week (inc a free speaker bag) 
Red ones are better. 
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    Good choice! We have a pair of DBR10's for our vocals only PA and they sound great, really light too... for Kemper/Helix use the DXR10 is definitely a better fit though.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    I use a DXR10 with my Helix too, initially had a Alto which I thought sounded OK but the Yamaha is a lot better
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28200
    I wish I could go back two years to tell you that you were going to do this and record the torrent of filth you'd have uttered in response. ;)
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7419
    Sporky said:
    I wish I could go back two years to tell you that you were going to do this and record the torrent of filth you'd have uttered in response. ;)
    Hahaha. It's funny because it's spot on. 
    Red ones are better. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    You should put a MetalZone in one loop.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Sporky said:
    Oh my god it WAS ONE TIME!

=) 
    Red ones are better. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4184
    I use a pair of DBR-12's with a Marshall 20/20 with my Axe-Fx and it sounds great imho
  • Zodiac51Zodiac51 Frets: 340
    Thanks - just the sort of review I've been looking for, the DXR10 seems to be the goto on the Kemper forum, so no surprises really. need to pick one up myself :)  
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 599
    I jumped on the DXR10 wagon too to amplify my recently acquired AX8. Sounds great at home volume levels but will get a chance to give it some beans at band rehearsal tomorrow.
    I've also got some Alto TS110a's which are also good but I think the Yamaha is a bit flatter and has more power on tap.
  • DXR10 owner here too, I got two last week. Still getting used to them really but they are great.

@TimmyO and @Beexter , feel like we should all be holding hands as we try this new weird (cough..."awful") digital world! We're not alone guys, lets do this together! ;-)

Seriously thiugh, it's a great time to be a guitarist!

Pick up my Axe FX today and can't wait!
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1994

Nice one. Not had helix long but realised I haven't been looking at Amps or pedals since picking it up... power amps, IRs, frfr speakers & monitors however..

GAS will always manifest itself in some form.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    sgosden said:

Nice one. Not had helix long but realised I haven't been looking at Amps or pedals since picking it up...

This ^ +1
    TimmyO said:
    Sporky said:
    Oh my god it WAS ONE TIME!

=) 
    ...at band camp?
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • trolleytrolley Frets: 88
    edited March 2017

Does anyone use this setup live?

I have a Helix rack and I need to decide between buying a Matrix & outputting through my Marshall 1936 cab, or buying a powered monitor.

I would guess live I'd either mike it up or send through a PA, but it would be for on-stage sound and a bit for the audience

• John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775

I started out using a 'proper' amp/cab with the Helix but switched to a DXR10 for monitoring and a 'bit for the audience' the 'bit' is now next to nothing as it's so much more controllable just going through the PA and the DXR is only so myself and the rest of the band can hear a bit of guitar, it sounds great though, and is plenty loud enough to use as a backline amp if needed.  Also it's far more portable than a 1960 :)

I know @cabicular has recently ditched his proper amps too, it's so much easier and not a compromise in sound

• RolandRoland Frets: 8704
    Beexter said:
    sgosden said:

Nice one. Not had helix long but realised I haven't been looking at Amps or pedals since picking it up...

This ^ +1
    I haven't look at amps for the last ten years, and I haven't bought any effects either. Everything I've wanted to try, other than a voicebox, can be found in the little black box
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    Roland said:
    Beexter said:
    sgosden said:

This ^ +1
    I haven't look at amps for the last ten years, and I haven't bought any effects either. Everything I've wanted to try, other than a voicebox, can be found in the little black box
    Is that how long you have been using Axe? Blimey
    Red ones are better. 
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8704
    Not quite. I spent a while abroad, and got an Ultra soon after I got back. Apart from guitars I've been GAS free ever since.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • @John_A ; which Alto did you have??

@Beexter did you find the Alto TS110a loud enough on stage/rehearsal with a real drummer??

I'm looking to try FRFR with my HD500X but not on the £500+ budget of the Yamaha stuff right now...
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

Yeah, the Alto's are loud enough in my opinion. I use them for our bands monitors. I think they're great value and sound really good. I'm talking about the TS series, NOT TX - big difference.