Overdrive Pedal Suggestions?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11452
    OCD is good - especially on 18V.

With the pedals you have, something with a TS style mid hump (probably thousands to choose from) would give you some variation.  Whether it would be a good variation is a different question.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    Thanks for the input, the Boss overdrives sound like another look.

To answer your question @Flanging_Fred I've had a Roland Cube, a 40w Marshall and a Fender Mustang III. The Cube was ok, the Marshall was nice but one dimensional and the Mustang was a pile of poop. Awful amp. 

The Vox AC4 sounds far better than any of the other amps I've had, lovely warm sparkling tone, and works nicely with my pedal board. I don't feel like I need more from an amp currently. Interested to hear why so many think a larger amp would make a difference to my drive tones? 

I play in a dedicated, insulated 12 sq mtr room in the middle of a very quiet residential area and the amp is more than loud enough for the room. Being 4w it means I can drive it without upsetting anyone or losing my hearing! Adding drive pedals just gives me a different tone on tap. 

As mentioned I've also played through friends larger amps, and although some of them do sound great, not great enough for me to think 'I must run out and spend two grand on that amp'. 

After all, if every time we heard something sweet, we rushed out and spent money chasing the same tone.... oh, hang on! 
  • I think the reason people are suggesting other amps is that a lot of people hate the ac4.  Myself included, I found it harsh, boxy, all mid range honk and poorly built. I couldn't get rid of it fast enough.

However, If you like it then that's cool, you've got to go with your own ears and judgement. One man's meat is another man's poison...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    Ah! AntiAC4phobia! 

If I bought another amp I'd go with low wattage again. I like the Laney Lionheart. 
  • Fuengi said:
    Ah! AntiAC4phobia! 

If I bought another amp I'd go with low wattage again. I like the Laney Lionheart. 

I didn't like the ac4 either but I liked the cheap Mooer ac rip off. Go figure! 

The Laney lionheart 20 is really good, and the lionheart 50 is one of the best sounding amps I've heard. 

I'm more of a big amp guy, but I'm really happy with my ac15 at the moment, even at whisper volume. Different strokes and all that :) 
  • JMP220478JMP220478 Frets: 421
    edited March 2017
    cheap as chips _

but imo a better BD2 ..
  • JMP220478JMP220478 Frets: 421
    edited March 2017
    ps - check out the mini pedals too - Mooers etc - you can get clones of most popular overdrives ( TS , OCD  etc - see link below for examples )  without breaking the bank and if you buy s/h you can flip them easily enough and not lose any £ in the process.

http://guitarefx.blogspot.co.uk/2015/08/mooer-pedals-clone-list.html ( I cant find a more upto date one )

• JMP220478 said:
    cheap as chips _

but imo a better BD2 ..

I always forget these exist! 

Very good pedals. The whole range is really, I quite like the hot head and even the death metal. 
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    The DOD Gunslinger is also very good.

I blame @Alnico for me purchasing one.

Good luck finding the Digitech's, I don't think they're made anymore :-(

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    edited March 2017
    I'm happy to take that. 
    I still haven't found the need for a higher gain pedal yet especially with the hand made 'sweet honey overdrive' that @Adam_MD built for me boosting it.

Using the low and hi tone controls I can get just about any distortion tone I want and the volume on tap in this is insane.

Get one before they stop making it.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    I'd get an SD-1 and a GE-7 to scoop some of the mids out of the amp but since you like the amp it might prove redundant.
  • I have a DOD gunslinger and Looking Glass. Between them I can get a wide range, from clean boost to chunky dirt. The Looking Glass's bass roll off can get you from tight funky strat riffs to fuzzy neil young-ness. Well worth trying. 
  • mike_l said:
    The DOD Gunslinger is also very good.

I blame @Alnico for me purchasing one.

Good luck finding the Digitech's, I don't think they're made anymore :-(

That's a shame :( I quite liked the whole range, I've had a hot head and still have a bad monkey (which is and the bass synth wah (which is completely unique). 
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    @ThePrettyDamned I have a few Digitechs, I use the Metalmaster and Hothead as a basis for metal, and I like the Bad Monkey for boosting a dirty Marshall.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• mike_l said:
    @ThePrettyDamned I have a few Digitechs, I use the Metalmaster and Hothead as a basis for metal, and I like the Bad Monkey for boosting a dirty Marshall.

Never tried the metal master, but the death metal is a bit of fun - more of a nasty fuzzy noise box than a traditional metal sound, but good fun if that's your bag. 

The hot head is nice. It was the pedal that got me to seriously try a ds-1 and ignore online "information" about it.