Another Digital Modelling Amp...

What's Hot
darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11754
Hi All,

Like many people with families, my beloved wife and children limit my practise time, so I have my guitars hung in strategic places, and am aiming to have a little modelling amp in each room I sometimes practise, so that I can always snatch the odd 10 minutes.

I have a couple of Blackstar's excellent little code amps in a couple of places, but am missing a third.  A third blackstar seems OTT so I'm looking at the following: -

Vox VX1 (or 2)
Vox VT20x
Marshall Code 25 (I'm leaning this way)
Fender Mustang 3 (or 1 or 2, but not everything can be patched on the amp)
Roland Micro Cube

Any thoughts?  I know a lot of you might suggest the Yamah THR10, but I've sort of left that off the list as it seems insanely pricey for what it is.
You are the dreamer, and the dream...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• uncledickuncledick Frets: 406
    Unless you're into metal/shred stuff I'd go for the VT20X.  The Vox and Fender tones are especially good.  A better amp than the AV series imho.
  • CollingsCollings Frets: 411
    Have you considered a Yamaha THR?

I got one 12 months ago and it sits in my living room ready to be plugged into whenever the mood takes.

I use it mainly to jam along to youtube backing tracks from a connected laptop. It sounds pretty decent at living room levels.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7419
    The THR *is* fantastic at sounding like a proper amp, but at "there are other people in the house" levels - maybe try one and if you like look for a used one? 

Other than that, I liked the basic sounds of the Mustang s - they get better as they get bigger, but also the venerable but genuinely good Roland Cube (the 40 is a nice sweet spot for sound/size)

But at really low volumes, the THR wins, imo. 
    Red ones are better. 
    Also with all of these they each take their own approach to what is easily controllable effects wise - it may be best to go try them and see which one gives you what you'd want easily
    Red ones are better. 
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    I have a battery powered Micro Cube which I got so I could play in the garden on a sunny day. For the money it's ace and sounds good at low volumes and as its battery powered I find I use it when I just want to 10 minute noodle or practice.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    Fretwired said:
    I have a battery powered Micro Cube which I got so I could play in the garden on a sunny day. For the money it's ace and sounds good at low volumes and as its battery powered I find I use it when I just want to 10 minute noodle or practice.
    i once miced one of those up through a 6kW PA - sounded fab! 
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    Personally I thought the THR sounded awful, but I'm in a minority in thinking this (amongst other things it seems)

I have a micro micro cube I use for exactly the purpose you want it for, but I wouldn't get another, I'd get a Cube 10x or whatever it's called now, sounded better, goes quietly ( micro cube volume is a bit on/off) and you can load in new amp models from your iPhone or Android via the App, also record and jam along with MP3 and your own riffs. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Personally I thought the THR sounded awful, but I'm in a minority in thinking this.

No you're not.  Just doesn't react like guitar amp.  As someone said on here, like playing through an ipod dock.
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11754
    TimmyO said:
    The THR *is* fantastic at sounding like a proper amp, but at "there are other people in the house" levels - maybe try one and if you like look for a used one?
    I expected a lot of THR recommendations but I do find them very pricey for what they are.  It sort of a principle thing, good recommendations notwithstanding they cost three times as much as their equivalents from Vox, Blackstar, Fender.

No doubt can be found used, and I really do need to try one, just to see what the fuss is about!

The Vox VT20x is however £195 with the footswitch at PMT currently, which is really making me want to rush in and buy one - does anyone want to warn me off...?
    https://www.roland.com/global/products/cube-20gx/

This ones only £125!!!!

sounds awesome too. 
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3395
    Katana 50?
    TimmyO said:
    I expected a lot of THR recommendations but I do find them very pricey for what they are.  It sort of a principle thing, good recommendations notwithstanding they cost three times as much as their equivalents from Vox, Blackstar, Fender.

No doubt can be found used, and I really do need to try one, just to see what the fuss is about!

The Vox VT20x is however £195 with the footswitch at PMT currently, which is really making me want to rush in and buy one - does anyone want to warn me off...?
    There's a s/h VT20+ in the classifieds iirc.  Cheap enough to be a footstool if you don't like it.
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4724
    edited March 2017
    Hi All,

Like many people with families, my beloved wife and children limit my practise time, so I have my guitars hung in strategic places, and am aiming to have a little modelling amp in each room I sometimes practise, so that I can always snatch the odd 10 minutes.

I have a couple of Blackstar's excellent little code amps in a couple of places, but am missing a third.  A third blackstar seems OTT so I'm looking at the following: -

Vox VX1 (or 2)
    Vox VT20x
    Roland Micro Cube

Any thoughts?  I know a lot of you might suggest the Yamah THR10, but I've sort of left that off the list as it seems insanely pricey for what it is.
    All good contenders - but I'd add one more. Not strictly a modelling amp, but reviews say it sounds & feels really good (all analogue pre-amp circuits) -  Vox AV15 (or AV30). Oh, & re the Code 25 - the Code 50 way better sounding.  And if you go Mustang III make sure its the v2. 

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    Has anyone said line 6 amplifi 30 yet?
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11754
    Voxman said:
    Hi All,

Vox VX1 (or 2)
    Vox VT20x
    Roland Micro Cube

All good contenders - but I'd add one more. Not strictly a modelling amp, but reviews say it sounds & feels really good (all analogue pre-amp circuits) -  Vox AV15 (or AV30). Oh, & re the Code 25 - the Code 50 way better sounding.  And if you go Mustang III make sure its the v2. 

That's an interesting POV on the Code 25 - why do you find the Code 50 better - bigger speaker?
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4724
    edited March 2017
    Voxman said:
    Oh, & re the Code 25 - the Code 50 way better sounding.  

That's an interesting POV on the Code 25 - why do you find the Code 50 better - bigger speaker?
    Yes, but its the combination of bigger speaker and bigger cab that really makes the difference. The problem with some amps is that the cab is simply too small and the speaker needs room to 'breathe' so to speak so that the sound resonates ...and as you raise volume the 25 just sounds 'stifled', '2-dimensional' and 'boxy' in comparison.  The Code 50 is just way fuller sounding, with more bottom end grunt, which you need with the Marshall amps modelled.  I played the 50 before I found a 25 to play.  I loved the 50 and might even get one myself.  But if I'd have played the 25 I'd have just dismissed the Code altogether.

Fender got it right with the Mustang II and (especially) the Mustang III.  Good speakers in a good sized cab.  Our second guitarist has a nice red Mustang III v2, and it sounds very good, very full, and its pretty darned loud too. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4696
    Vox AV30 works for me every time.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    Cornell Plexi 7 on 1/4w ;)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    I'd go Boss Katana 50, looks like a great little piece of kit.

Of course, you'll also need a Blackstar fly for the bathroom, and a Vox mini 5 for landing.