Pickup Squeal and guitar design and woods

Ive always wondered why do some pickups squeal at lower gain levels in one guitar than another?  I'm not talking about 335s or hollow bodies or even telecaster bridge plates . For instance I had a prs mccarty in which I tried a pair of bare knuckle vh2s. The mccarty squealed at lower gain than the Gibson les Paul I had taken them out of.  Same with Strats. - tried a humbucker in the bridge of a strat which had come out of an alder bodied HH Guitar and again the squeal threshold was lower. 
I'm assuming it's something to do with amount of wood, density, space around the pickups but I'm not sure 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    Ive always wondered why do some pickups squeal at lower gain levels in one guitar than another?  I'm not talking about 335s or hollow bodies or even telecaster bridge plates . For instance I had a prs mccarty in which I tried a pair of bare knuckle vh2s. The mccarty squealed at lower gain than the Gibson les Paul I had taken them out of.  Same with Strats. - tried a humbucker in the bridge of a strat which had come out of an alder bodied HH Guitar and again the squeal threshold was lower. 
    I'm assuming it's something to do with amount of wood, density, space around the pickups but I'm not sure 

It depends on the frequencies, different guitars affect the output of the pickup and certain frequencies will squeal at lower gain.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72322
    The resonance of the guitar body is being picked up, because the body (with the pickup attached to it) vibrating relative to the strings produces a signal, as well as the strings vibrating relative to the body.

This is also partly why different guitars sound different even with the same pickups.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein