I bought another flippin' cab

BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
Couldn't resist it at the price - half the new price. Yeah, yeah, it's a bass cab.. I know, I know...

Barefaced Compact Gen 2. It's totally different to my Vanderkley. This is a 1x15 with clever internal porting and no tweeter. A lot more mid-range than the 2x10, less bottom heft. 

Main reason I got it was the fabled weight. Um, it's 12kg - just under 27lbs. And handles 600w (8ohms). When you lift it, it feels like they missed the speaker out or only half of it made it off the ground.. weird.

Anyway, there you go. I can now officially sink Lincolnshire with bass frequencies.

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Oh, and @ICBM, if I can find a jack to speakon lead, I'll try a guitar head through it - might answer your question on whether they would work for guitar (!)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited March 2017
    (Duplicate post)
    edited March 2017
    3 server errors in a row, and 2 duplicate posts!
  • MrTMrT Frets: 21
    I'd be keen to know your thoughts on this once it's settled in a bit. I need to upgrade my bass rig for some gigs I've booked in for later in the year and would be intrigued to know if you think the Barefaced Compact could be used as a 1 cab solution for pub gigs. 
    MrT said:
    I'd be keen to know your thoughts on this once it's settled in a bit. I need to upgrade my bass rig for some gigs I've booked in for later in the year and would be intrigued to know if you think the Barefaced Compact could be used as a 1 cab solution for pub gigs. 
    Sure thing - I've cranked it with the EICH in bridges mode which is 700w and it was going to cause serious house damage at about 50% volume - I will however report back.

What I don't know yet is how it sits in a mix, and what level of drums/guitar it will cope with. Should be interesting!
  • These look great. I'd love to try one some day.

I wish guitar gear would catch up to bass gear for lightness. 
    The lightness is super appealing - I lug my gear up two flights of stairs as it gets stored at the top of the house and an old school bass cab just doesn't seem like an appealing solution! I picked up Ashdown Rootmaster 420 combo for rehearsals (which is light enough for a 2x10) but before we start gigging properly I'm tempted to try and switch to a head and Barefaced cab to be super portable.
    I can do a one handed carry up the stairs with it with no issues at all - It can be manhandled around with ease - lifting round is a doddle
    @Bridgehouse - just wondering if you'd gigged this yet? I've been looking at this and the supercompact and ideally looking for a 1 cab gigging solution. There's about £150 price difference 2nd hand so be intrigued to know your thoughts on the compact. 
    MrT said:
    @Bridgehouse - just wondering if you'd gigged this yet? I've been looking at this and the supercompact and ideally looking for a 1 cab gigging solution. There's about £150 price difference 2nd hand so be intrigued to know your thoughts on the compact. 
    For a small to medium gig it would be perfect. Needs a good head to drive it as it's 8 ohms but it's a good monitor on stage if you are DI into FOH as well..
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7417
    Bass players and cabs seems to be a thing lol 

Although I've barely ever heard a bad word about Barefaced - nice GAS 
    Red ones are better. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72323
    I still want a Retro 210 to go with my Ampeg Micro VR - it's lighter and more efficient than the Ampeg cab (and 4 ohm not 8, which helps) - but it's also more than twice the price, which has been holding me back...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• slackerslacker Frets: 2236
    Electromusic stock Barefaced. Whilst checking I found this...

http://www.electromusic.co.uk/Aguilar-GS410-Bass-Cabinet-pre-owned.html

Someone could do a lot of damage with that (apologies for non Barefaced content). 
    Yeah - that Aguilar 4x10 looks nice but it aint going to help my two flights of stairs scenario! 

The £££s is what's been holding me back. I think it's probably the Barefaced Super Compact that would be ideal for me but even 2nd hand they seem to hold their price. I need to get a few more gigs booked in then maybe I'll take the plunge. I know Barefaced are the toast of basschat (and there's probably very good reason for that) but are there other single cab solutions out there at less cost?

For the time being I need to weigh up if I keep my Ashdown RM420 2x10 combo or switch to using the Markbass LM2 and Ashdown Mi12 cab I picked up recently for very little £££s. I know which way I'm leaning - just need to work out if the 1x12 is enough to get me through the next few gigs. 
    MrT said:
    Yeah - that Aguilar 4x10 looks nice but it aint going to help my two flights of stairs scenario! 

The £££s is what's been holding me back. I think it's probably the Barefaced Super Compact that would be ideal for me but even 2nd hand they seem to hold their price. I need to get a few more gigs booked in then maybe I'll take the plunge. I know Barefaced are the toast of basschat (and there's probably very good reason for that) but are there other single cab solutions out there at less cost?

For the time being I need to weigh up if I keep my Ashdown RM420 2x10 combo or switch to using the Markbass LM2 and Ashdown Mi12 cab I picked up recently for very little £££s. I know which way I'm leaning - just need to work out if the 1x12 is enough to get me through the next few gigs. 
    The barefaced advantage really is the weight. They are silly light.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14424
    Thread resurrection question for @Bridgehouse

Have you tried pairing the Compact 15 in an array with other, smaller loudspeakers? 

My current interest is in the long-discontinued Barefaced Big One (1x15", 1x6.5") enclosure.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • Oh, and @ICBM, if I can find a jack to speakon lead, I'll try a guitar head through it - might answer your question on whether they would work for guitar (!)
    On the guitar cabs at least, the speakon also works with a standard 1/4 jack in the middle.

Failing that, Designacable.
    Thread resurrection question for @Bridgehouse

Have you tried pairing the Compact 15 in an array with other, smaller loudspeakers? 

My current interest is in the long-discontinued Barefaced Big One (1x15", 1x6.5") enclosure.

Nope - only used standalone. That said, I've seen a different setup with a number of BF cabs and that included a mix of 10, 12 and 15s and it all seemed to work very well. 

I must admit I'm quite taken by their FRFR speakers these days.