Anyone been to Bordeaux?

What's Hot
BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
edited March 2017 in Off Topic
Planning a short break in September with the fiancée - has anyone been? Happy to hear any recommendations!

Thanks
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4632
    I've been to the bottom of many a bottle of Bordeaux.
    Great part of the country great wine.
    Hope you speak French as very few speak English in that part of France
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33797
    I've been to the bottom of many a bottle of Bordeaux.
    Great part of the country great wine.
    Hope you speak French as very few speak English in that part of France
    ... and even if they do, they won't.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    No. Hopefully we will be just north of there this summer. I've been to places that don't look that far away on the map but are probably 4 hours drive.
    How are you getting there? 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • BRISTOL86 said:
    Planning a short break in September with the fiancée - has anyone been? Happy to hear any recommendations!

Thanks
    Yes, it's a great place that I'm sure you'll love. The only thing I will say is that if you're expecting sun, sun, sun, because it's in the 'south of France', you might be disappointed as it rains quite a bit. That's why the wine is so good! You should be ok in September though as that is still summer territory, which tends to be dry and hot.
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3422
    I've passed through - St Emillion isn't too far from Bordeaux and worth a visit.
  • BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    Thanks all! Don't speak French aside from absolute basics from GCSE days, but not sure how much use 'my brother Claude lives by the mountains' will be in a real world scenario.

I'll just point at things and grunt. Seems to work for the French so maybe they'll think I'm a local!

We'll be pretty much just eating, drinking and mooching round so chilled about how the weather will be though of course dry is always a bonus!

@erictheweary we are flying there. 
  • FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2478
    BRISTOL86 said:
    Thanks all! Don't speak French aside from absolute basics from GCSE days, but not sure how much use 'my brother Claude lives by the mountains' will be in a real world scenario.

I'll just point at things and grunt. Seems to work for the French so maybe they'll think I'm a local!

We'll be pretty much just eating, drinking and mooching round so chilled about how the weather will be though of course dry is always a bonus!

just point and - "l'un de ces, s'il vous plait".
    Bordeaux is nice, good eating and drinking. Also pretty compact.
    Another bonus is the tiny airport, much quicker to get in and out of.
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
  • BRISTOL86 said:

Plenty of people speak English in Bordeaux. You'll have no problems in restaurants and bars.
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1958
    I went there twice - once on a Rugby "tour", the other time was 2 years ago with the family. Enjoyed both times.
    Can't remember exactly what we did or where we went though......especially "on tour"!
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    BRISTOL86 said:

Ahh, I've always driven into France and Bordeaux is a long way down. 
    Eating out is expensive now but look out for plat d'jour or prix fixe. 
    When you've had enough amazing classic French architecture the weird bridge at Pont Jacques Chaban Delmas is something different to look at and just up the road from the German submarine base which, apparently, is an arts centre these days. I don't know if I'd be able to sell that to MrsTheWeary as a day out though. 

https://bobblepic.com/images/2017/03/21/IMG_1138.jpg
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4916
    "Le singe est dans l'arbre" - Eddie Izzard.
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4916
    Also, "Ou est la plume de ma tante?" - my French grammar book c. 1961.
  • I've passed through - St Emillion isn't too far from Bordeaux and worth a visit.
    Wonderful winery - had lunch on long, trestle tables next to the vines in glorious sunshine, sipping their gorgeous, syrupy dessert wine.
  • revsorgrevsorg Frets: 880
    We went on our honeymoon to a friend's cottage near Bergerac 25 years ago - it's in the Bordeaux region.  That was the second time we visited so it was obviously worth returning to.  I suppose some things will have changed since then but this is what I remember:

Wine related - obviously it's a great place to go if you like wine, which I do. We visited a lot of vineyards. We went on a tour of a grand one in St Emilion which was very memorable. But we also visited tiny vineyards and bought just a couple of bottles.  A bit like touring distilleries in Scotland, you tend to end up a bit pissed, and there's usually a long way to drive.

Armagnac related - before going we learnt about the relationship between brandy and Armagnac, and found it interesting.  We visited a vineyard, asked about the damage to one of their buildings and they explained it was from the war because they colluded with the Germans.

Visiting the seaside - we didn't do this enough - travelling straight out West from the city of Bordeaux you reach what turned out at the time to be a nudist beach.  Not my cup of tea, and it was a bit embarrassing all the naked people frolicking around us.  I felt very British.

Bordeaux - the city - it was alright - I remember a fountain and some shops.  I may have been a bit drunk.

Getting there by car - the first time we went we drove down from Calais through Paris and taking the seemingly obvious direct way.  It took bloody hours with an infinite number of villages with traffic lights.  We returned via the seemingly indirect autoroute and it was brilliant.  The next time we went via Cherbourg and used autoroutes which was great.  If I was doing it again I'd drive maybe a BMW or Mercedes.  Something that cruises fast.

Other things I remember include farmers markets where you can buy local produce like cured meats and stuff.  And in the dark back bedroom of our cottage lived a terrifying centipede thing so we locked the door and didn't go in there.  Still, that was 25 years ago, it's either mated with other centipedes and the whole region has been taken over, or there has been some kind of battle between humans and centipedes and the whole region is some kind of post-centipede-battle wasteland which is safe for tourists to visit.

I just asked my wife and she said "lizards, we made melon icecream, discovered that eating artichoke isn't worth the effort, and I was horrified that you'd never gutted a fish before".
  • RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    It's a nice part of the world. We live an hour and a bit East and South of Bordeaux, although my partner's family had a house near Bergerac before moving down here.

It is busy like any other city and if you are contemplating driving anywhere avoid the periphique (ring road) at all costs at morning, lunchtime and evening rush hours. It's mental!
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3422

It is busy like any other city and if you are contemplating driving anywhere avoid the periphique (ring road) at all costs at morning, lunchtime and evening rush hours. It's mental!
    Yes...I found the ring road mildly terrifying when we ventured onto it....and that was mid-morning!
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    revsorg said:
    We went on our honeymoon to a friend's cottage near Bergerac 25 years ago - it's in the Bordeaux region.  That was the second time we visited so it was obviously worth returning to.  I suppose some things will have changed since then but this is what I remember:

Actually, it's in The Dordogne. Sorry*

*Pedantry ed.
  • revsorgrevsorg Frets: 880
    dogload said:

*Pedantry ed.
    Actually I'd describe it more as an exacting scrupulousness.
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    revsorg said:
    dogload said:

*Pedantry ed.
    Actually I'd describe it more as an exacting scrupulousness.
    That has always been my undoing! :)
  • BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    Thanks for the pointers guys :)