Which guitar to buy?

What's Hot
whornerwhorner Frets: 0
edited March 2017 in Guitar
I am a relatively new player, who has been learning, up until now, on a bottom end broken guitar. I want to buy a new electric guitar and wondering whether or not to get fender, or start off on a slightly cheaper alternative?  Fenders will more or less hold a certain extent of value, will last and will produce great sound. Or will I be just fine with a squier? Dont really want to waste money on a guitar that ill just have to replace basically.  Also any suggestions for mid range-ish guitars are appreciated.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• McTootMcToot Frets: 2042
    Squiers are just fine - especially the higher end ones - like the Classic Vibe. But my advice would always be to buy second hand especially for your first decent guitar. If you decide, after months of struggling with what is after all a tricky instrument to get good on quickly, that it's not for you then a second hand guitar will recover most of what you paid.  

However, if you really want new (the buzz of buying a new guitar is quite a powerful motivator), then Squiers are fine, so are Yamaha Pacificas and quite a few from Trevor Wilkinson's Vintage range. I personally wouldn't go for a new Mexican Fender, but I would get one second hand.

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

My trading feedback  - I'm a good egg  ;) 

• DulcetJonesDulcetJones Frets: 515
    I agree with McToot.  I have a couple of Squiers that are all decent guitars.  The one I like most is a tele that I bought new, even though the frets could have been dressed a little better the price was good.  I've used it for a jam session guitar for a few years now, it always sounds great and stays in tune. 

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    edited March 2017
    Yup get a squire. The vintage modified range are very good. Or go up to the Mexican stuff. They are good enough to be as far up the price book as you ever need to go.

I've been earning via gigs and teaching from my lower price range fenders for years and years.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11754
    Yup get a squire. The vintage modified range are very good. Or go up to the Mexican stuff. They are good enough to be as far up the price book as you ever need to go.
    QFT - you can get full fat American Fenders and Gibsons and they are wonderful things but they can wait.

Unless you have the money burning a hole in your pocket and fall in love with one of course :)
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    Look on the classifieds here, decide on budget and buy what takes your fancy. A lot cheaper than new from a shop and a much higher chance of having been properly set up. Guitars from on line warehouses are generally slightly cheaper than from good retailers, but you are unlikely to get as good a set up, which if you don´t know how to do your self, is an ass pain.