Thorpy FX - The Veteran - An Initial Review...

What's Hot
WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9533
edited March 2017 in FX

Background

Let me say right from the outset that I'm not a fuzz fan; I played very few I like, and it's not really my genre of music. I tend to go for clean/break up/Tom Petty kinda sounds... 

I have found that, for my needs, that high power OD/Fuzz pedals often seem to give me the best low gain clipped sounds. I don’t understand how this is, but I guess the ‘old fashioned’ way of using the pots and rolling back the volume is king here…

My fave fuzz ever was a Analogman NKT 275 White Sunface, which cleaned up superbly. This Veteran reminds me a wee bit of that pedal, and sure enough, this Thorpy FX beauty cleans up well too.

The Unboxing

There are two things reviewers always seem to say about the Thorpy FX range; firstly, he knows how to package a pedal ! This is beautifully presented. Secondly, it really IS built like a tank ! Stunning, heavy brick sh1t house construction !

The packaging is superb and fun. That little ‘Thorpy FX’ sticker on the side, the unusual top opening box and lovely detailed card, plec and instructions inside. Love it straight away.

So, the Veteran is going straight into my Carr Rambler (touch of amp reverb added), and demoed with a ’63 MB Strat.

Initial thoughts are that it reminds me of two classic pedals types; namely Paul Trombetta Design Mini Bone/Rotobone and the Kingsley ODs. This is perhaps the greatest compliment that I can pay this pedal, as I love these reference pedals. 

As ever, I bypass the instructions (which I always return to later when it becomes apparent that I need to understand them !), and dig right in.

http://i1160.photobucket.com/albums/q493/Warren3333/Thorpy FX Veteran.jpg

Early Sounds & Thoughts

The Veteran is hugely touch-sensitive, and I can seem to go from harmonic cleans to dig in break and beyond. And harmonic is the word - you can hear those harmonics flying out of your playing like sparks from a firework. No, you really can. The oft used ‘amp-like’ is an understatement. Again, it reminds of something like the Kingsley Jester…

For some reason, I have found the sound that works best for me is to have the volumes on the fuzz side high, and then reduce the volume by using the boost. Im not sure it was designed this way, but it has really worked for me.

The real strength of this pedal is that it doesn't seem to muddy the initial note. The fuzz sound seems to be underneath the original note, if that makes sense. I haven't tried it yet, but I imagine that this feature would work superbly in a band context…

Early Summary

Now, take my reviews with a pinch of salt... I have been accused of being too positive, too enthusiastic...

BUT... I didn't need this pedal. 

I was just making my first steps into Kemperdom… enjoying digital modelling.

This Veteran is a game changer for me. I could see a whole album, a whole band sound, a whole new era of creativity… Strat - Veteran - Rambler. Sorted.

I like it. I really really like it.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    Omg I'm going to have to get one. I tried one today and it was awesome. Same as you I wouldn't say I'd use it the time but it does sound great for a purchase. I'll have to work my magic somewhere lol
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6807
    Hey, there's a guy called warren3333 over on TGP that's nicked your review word for word!!
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9533
    mrkb said:
    Hey, there's a guy called warren3333 over on TGP that's nicked your review word for word!!
    I bet he's a fine looking man too !
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited March 2017
    What amp were you using with @Wazmeister ;;

EDIT ooops just read it was your Carr rambler 
  • If it's based on a fuzz face, they always sounded best with the fuzz and volume way up high and controlled with the guitar (or a post volume so you can get your rock on without going deaf). This was true even on the silicon variants like the axis fuzz, which is still my favourite of all time. 

I'd like to try a veteran but somehow think I won't get the chance as they're so limited :) but it sounds nice. 
  • smudge_ladsmudge_lad Frets: 665
    If it's based on a fuzz face, they always sounded best with the fuzz and volume way up high and controlled with the guitar (or a post volume so you can get your rock on without going deaf). This was true even on the silicon variants like the axis fuzz, which is still my favourite of all time. 

I'd like to try a veteran but somehow think I won't get the chance as they're so limited :) but it sounds nice. 

Thorpy confirmed in the other thread that it's only the germanium Veteran that'll be limited :)

"definitely, it won't be limited edition and it'll have some different features. "

• ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6134
    tFB Trader
    If it's based on a fuzz face, they always sounded best with the fuzz and volume way up high and controlled with the guitar (or a post volume so you can get your rock on without going deaf). This was true even on the silicon variants like the axis fuzz, which is still my favourite of all time. 

Thorpy confirmed in the other thread that it's only the germanium Veteran that'll be limited :)

"definitely, it won't be limited edition and it'll have some different features. "

Yep, just the germaniums that are limited. They have been fickle buggers and making 100 has nearly broken me! 
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I don't know how you fit it all in @ThorpyFX I.e. Pedal making and being in the army 
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6134
    edited March 2017 tFB Trader
    I don't know how you fit it all in @ThorpyFX I.e. Pedal making and being in the army 
    you can sleep when you're dead
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom