Met one of my Hero's Monday night!

What's Hot
jamesoliver1234jamesoliver1234 Frets: 1268
edited March 2017 in Guitar
On my Monday my band Glas (welsh for blue) supported the telecaster Legend Bill Kirchen and his band..
Bill was a really nice guy and very complimentary of my guitar playing and the band.. some of you will know in his version of johnny bonds hot rod lincoln he plays guitar riffs by many players and to my surprise he included an elmore james riff but said my name (james) instead 7 minutes in...he watched our whole set of original and covers and we finished off with Dust my Broom...it was one of the best gigs we have done!... and luckly my m8 rob video'd the song..

we have done many supports but none of the other acts has been as nice as bill and his band! a real highlight for me!.

0reaction image LOL 7reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    tFB Trader
    Awesome! Well done :-)
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    Good stuff :smile
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • DulcetJonesDulcetJones Frets: 515
    Cool.  I recall reading an interview years ago where he said he only keeps his tele in a case to protect other guitars from it.

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Cool.  I recall reading an interview years ago where he said he only keeps his tele in a case to protect other guitars from it.

Great quote!
  • KoaKoa Frets: 120
    I saw Bill years ago in Nick Lowes band around the time of The Impossible Bird album. World class player, should be playing huge gigs.....our gain that he's relatively unknown by Joe Public. That tele, a boss Compressor and a Twin Reverb. What's his current set up?
  • jamesoliver1234jamesoliver1234 Frets: 1268
    edited March 2017
    @Koa hes  using a all pine telecaster....magantone amp...boss dm3...and few other pedals od and tremolo
  • 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KoaKoa Frets: 120
    Cool pic James, good to hear he was such a decent guy on the night and thanks for the update on his set up. 
  • Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    So you're in a Welsh, Blue cover band?
  • blues band.....but glas means  blue in welsh... 
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10390
    tFB Trader
    On my Monday my band Glas (welsh for blue) supported the telecaster Legend Bill Kirchen and his band..
    Bill was a really nice guy and very complimentary of my guitar playing and the band.. some of you will know in his version of johnny bonds hot rod lincoln he plays guitar riffs by many players and to my surprise he included an elmore james riff but said my name (james) instead 7 minutes in...he watched our whole set of original and covers and we finished off with Dust my Broom...it was one of the best gigs we have done!... and luckly my m8 rob video'd the song..

we have done many supports but none of the other acts has been as nice as bill and his band! a real highlight for me!.

Bill is a hero of mine too ... I used to do a rocked up version of Hammer of the Honkytonk Gods in a previous band lineup I was in ... respect

Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• @TheGuitarWeasel  excellent song
  • KKJaleKKJale Frets: 982
    edited March 2017
    Saw Bill last night: top show, first time I've seen him. He had a Durham Zia Drive plus a Boss reverb (rather too much, for me) and a Boss delay. Amp was the Magnatone reissue (I think he was using the amp trem). He is a hellish tasteful player, I'm now officially a fan. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16095
    great player -tours with Redd Volkaert most of the time .......he was Captain Cody and the Lost Planet Airmen
    plays a massive fat necked Pine tele with no Truss rod made by RICK KELLY in New York
    also plays a little Fender Mustang or one of the 6os student models
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3832
    This man is absolutely a great guitarist! 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    I've listened to a bunch of stuff now, really great. From what he says he went to school with Iggy Pop? Great, great playing - shame I didn't take the opportunity to see him. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell.