Wiring a tapped tele SC bridge with neck mini HB on a 4-way switch

noisepolluternoisepolluter Frets: 799
edited March 2017 in Guitar
I currently have a 2xSC tele with a 4 way switch to add the 'both in series' option.

Could I use the same switch to wire a tapped SC bridge with neck mini HB as follows?

1. Bridge SC - hot
2. Bridge SC - tapped
3. BSC tapped plus mini HB 
4. Mini HB

(or possibly reverse the hot/tapped connections if pos 3 sounds better with hot)

Or would I be best off installing a push-pull tone pot for the bridge SC? I'd lose the no-load tone control which I like though)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72514
    You can do that very easily on the 4-way, either as you originally said or with the hot/tap the other way round.

Simply connect both switch rotors to the volume control, and then you can select any two pickups in any position. Treat the hot and tapped outputs as if they're separate pickups.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Cheers John, might have to shake the classifieds tree and see what falls out.
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10582
    tFB Trader
    My on personal favorite ... and what I have wired on my own number one Tele is a four way and a push pull for the bridge pickup tap, that gives you the series and parallel options (I love those on a Tele) plus the ability to have the bridge in low or high power modes with either ... nicely different sounds. 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• My on personal favorite ... and what I have wired on my own number one Tele is a four way and a push pull for the bridge pickup tap, that gives you the series and parallel options (I love those on a Tele) plus the ability to have the bridge in low or high power modes with either ... nicely different sounds. 
    I think this is what I'd probably do. 

I guess a Diesel Tap would probably work best with the mini HB (Seymour Duncan, either Vintage or Seymourized, can't remember which I have), just to keep as much clarity as possible in the mid position.

I'll need to look into a custom scratchplate too, I suppose. I think the tele (2007 US standard) is routed for neck HB as stock. I already have a spare push-pull tone, I'll need to check the impedance...
  • Balls. Current tele neck SC has 3 wires whereas replacement neck mini HB only has two (well, cable and braid). It's definitely not tapped so I'm guessing it's to do with the series/parallel 4 way I had fitted after I got it.Can I still wire up to a 4 way switch somehow for series/parallel etc? 

I have a normal 3 way switch so if I can't do the parallel/series thing anymore it's not the end of the world. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72514
    Yes, you can do it - but you need to make the bridge pickup the one that becomes the 'top' in the series mode. Basically reverse the whole switch wiring.

You also need to make sure the bridge pickup doesn't have a grounded baseplate, but if it does it's easy enough to fix.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein