Partscaster resoures

What's Hot
chris45chris45 Frets: 221
I'm hoping that my next project will be a partscaster (strat - fairly standard hardware and electronics).  I would really appreciate any comments and tips on where to source parts / pitfalls etc.  I want this to be as much as possible just self assembly as I am useless with paint / varnish etc so anything of that kind would have to be third party.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    Guitarbuild.co.uk for the body or GSPBASSES on here
    Allparts for the neck and scratchplate or GSP
    Wilkinson for the bridge
    ebay for misc hardware, jack socket, screws etc
    Pickups of choice
    Your choice of person to apply finish

Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Pete24vPete24v Frets: 235
    Warmoth.. I know they are not the cheapest, but they go together so easily.

I've tried mighty mite, and trying to marry up mjt and warmoth.. And there has always been some issue. But Warmoth parts just go together extremely well. 

• RolandRoland Frets: 8704
    Just how much building would you like to do?

Necks and bodies come up on here from time to time, which is cheaper than buying new parts, but you will have the challenge of marrying them together.

You can get hardware and electrics from places like Axetec or Axesrus, which tend to be more reliable than some eBay sellers. They also sell pickups, or you can go directly to people like Oil City, Mojo or Bare Knuckle. Again there are second hand pickups in the classifieds from time to time.

Another way of tackling it is to buy a cheap guitar, such as one of Thomann's Harley Benton brand. Take it apart, and reassemble with upgraded parts. One step further, and you could do the same with one of their kits, and give it a rubbed oil finish.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FrizerFrizer Frets: 45
    edited March 2017
    I've done one recently. For me as a beginner the most confusing area was ensuring you have the correct nut and bridge setup for string spacing. Go with whatever finish/wood you fancy but it's easier if you stick to a specific version for your specs: ie classic bridge 1962 strat or base it on a modern setup with a two point trem etc.

If I was doing it again I'd have used the vintage style go'toh tuners from the Johnson strat and spent longer finding a better body. i used an MJT body but I think there's better stuff out there. I have tried Warmoth, All parts and USACG necks. Found the USACG the best, the 10"-16" radius plays really nice. All Parts Fat and C neck are really nice too.

Limited by your own imagination really, currently I really want to try one of musikraft's blackguard profiles on a roasted maple neck with a Tele headstock and strat heel. Maybe with a pine strat body

Oh, those gold frets are great too, evo something? 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • matonematone Frets: 211
    Warmoth,Musikraft,Guitarbuild products have always gone together flawlessly in my experience .