Pickup height Les Paul content

KoaKoa Frets: 120
I've never really bonded with my Les Paul, neck pickup was always great but Bridge one was too aggressive and bright. I'd always kept the height of the bridge pickup fairly high to match the output of the neck one....until last night.
A few minutes spent adjusting and listening resulting in backing off the height of both pickups, matching the output but with both lower in height and output.....but the tones much improved. Yes lower output but much warmer, slightly compressed sounding tone. I'd nearly written off the LP and had thought about new pickups, can't wait to play it later. 
Do pickups always respond so radically to height adjustments? 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11594
    tFB Trader
    Yes - pickup power is based on an inverse square law do a small movement can give a larger than expected change

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• Yeah I always spend a while on pickup heights. It makes a big difference in many cases.
  • NikkoNikko Frets: 1803
    edited March 2017

So, what sort of height is your bridge pick-up from the strings now Koa?

I have a 498T in the bridge of my Les Paul, which I sometimes wish wasn't quite so bright/harsh. maybe I should look to adjust it.

Cheers

**Signature space available for a reasonable fee. Enquire within**
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3588
    Humbuckers and particularly for lower gain tones really do benefit from being dialed in. There was a large thread (or two) on the lespaulforum a few years back about setting the height and getting 'bloom' at the optimum hight. It's facinating to hear the subtle differences. If you are just always playing High gain anyway the subtleties tend to get lost.
  • I don't agree re: high gain.

Pickups too close = too much bass = mushy high gain sounds. Too far away = too little cut = dull high gain sounds.

One of the most sensitive ones I found for high gain is the original Dimarzio Evo. At the right height it cuts like a knife. Too high and it was very bloated and muddy on the lower strings.
  • RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3157
    tFB Trader
    Yes. I always like to spend a good half hour dialling in a set of pickups. The difference can be huge and can fundamentally change your perception of a guitar. 
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk