Trying to Explain Relicing

What's Hot

Comments

• dindudedindude Frets: 8539
    tone1 said:
    You had an accident with an orbital sander and guitar came off worse than you?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5176
    dindude said:
    tone1 said:
    You had an accident with an orbital sander and guitar came off worse than you?
    It's affectionately known as my 'belt sander special ' :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SNAKEBITE said:

I'm not going to discuss the wrongs or rights of relicing a guitar because that has been done to death, however has anyone tried explaining the whole concept to non guitar playing friends or workmates?

The looks you get are amazing!

leather jackets
    leather bags
    leather shoes and boots
    jeans you mentioned
    pine and oak furniture
    leather sofa
    my face

I needed to put new floor boards down in the bath room - 120 year old house - we just have a rug in the bath room and no additional floor covering so plain floor boards - New shiny wood would look wrong - So I purchased new wood, painted them - stripped them back to bare wood - 'bashed' them a bit and had a joiner fit them - First person to see them said 'nice to see original floor boards in the bath room still' - obviously worked
    Relic'd floorboards classic
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12404
    I'd sooner have a relic than suffer that heart sinking moment when you twat a 2 grand quilty PRS against the corner of a 4x12
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
  • paul_c2paul_c2 Frets: 410
    I have to admit the entire "relicing" appeal is lost on me. Well done to Fender/Gibson/whatever for being able to sell guitars that are basically imperfect/damaged/mistreated etc but I can't understand why you'd want such a guitar....unless it really was a rare vintage one of a certain age, and that's the condition it would be expected to be in (and would look out of place otherwise).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13953
    edited March 2017
    I've had 2 relic CS Strats, still own one, a heavy relic. For me it's about how they feel more than how they look plus the already worn in vibe accelerates the settling in period you go through will a new guitar and you can get straight to comfortable to leave it leaning against the amp and just play without having kittens every 5 minutes.

The feel of the worn relic'd neck is great and I don't feel the need to reach for the polishing cloth after play like I do with the shiny finished new guitars.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • I was in the Gear4Music showroom in York (which is a magnificent warehouse of gear with shite service by the way) and my partner pointed out a "second hand" Road Worn Telecaster. I explained that it was actually new and designed that way to mimic an old one. She understood, said it was stupid and we moved on.

(She also said a three-barrel tele bridge looks like there is a part missing from it, which I cannot disagree with)
    I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3921
    If you don't want/like a relic, then don't. If you do then good luck to you.

It's great living in a free world as it enables you to have a choice. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14319
    tFB Trader
    I've had 2 relic CS Strats, still own one, a heavy relic. For me it's about how they feel more than how they look plus the already worn in vibe accelerates the settling in period you go through will a new guitar and you can get straight to comfortable to leave it leaning against the amp and just play without having kittens every 5 minutes.

The feel of the worn relic'd neck is great and I don't feel the need to reach for the polishing cloth after play like I do with the shiny finished new guitars.
    valid points that I would endorse
  • BarriveeBarrivee Frets: 100
    edited March 2017
    tone1 said:
    Is that your Angus @tone1 ? They're usually light relics, have you "enhanced" the look a bit further?
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    I'd sooner have a relic than suffer that heart sinking moment when you twat a 2 grand quilty PRS against the corner of a 4x12
    It totally hurts when that happens, but the PRS lost half its value the second it was taken out of the shop.
    In my case my wife knocked it off a stand which really was my fault foe leaving it on one in the first place. 
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751

This. The feel is the crux of it for me.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3452
    Mental illness
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14319
    tFB Trader
    Image result for martin keownImage result for carlos tevez
  • CountryDaveCountryDave Frets: 858
    I've a friend who likes a guitar or two. Bought himself a CS Rory Gallagher strat, took it home and told his wife he picked it up for £150 in a second hand shop.
    Her response was 'You were robbed, it's a bloody mess.'
    9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Image result for martin keownImage result for carlos tevez
    I don't get it..
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• carloscarlos Frets: 3452
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    carlos said:

That's a vintage refin mate, not a relic. Probably a few replacement parts in their as well. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2169
    I always say it's like stone washed or ripped jeans.
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.