Active Speakers for Helix/Kemper/Axefx ETC .........WHICH ????

What's Hot

Comments

• @Wazmeister Where did you buy from?

First rehearsal last night. Stuck to three adjusted versions of MBritt Dirty Shirley and it sounded great through my little Zilla. Big relief. 
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9532
    edited March 2017
    Got mine from Andertons - great return policy just in case ;)
  • Got mine from Andertons - great return policy just in case ;)
    Might get one, if they can get it to me tomorrow...although really tempted to wait for the Matrix passive 12".

My band, Red For Dissent
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16095
    I've had a stereo pair of FR12's and the Friedman, now I have a pair of Yamaha DXR10's. I like the Yamaha's the most for what I need. The Friedman isn't as flat response as the others, but it's a lovely looking thing...not really ideal for gigging though.

I'm desperate to try QSR/QSC (that right?) and the CLR's, but I'll have to wait for stock. Right now, I've made the right choice, sound amazing in stereo. In my opinion, every guitarist should experience playing in true stereo, at least once.
    I know you are probably using Axe fx which can do stereo like the Helix but an I right in saying that Kemper does not do stereo and that it would simply be a case of using 2 cabs (each being mono )
     Anybody seen the Mission Gemini 2 which is a single stereo cab with 2 speaker sets within ?
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    edited March 2017
    @Dominic the main outputs on the Kemper are stereo.  There is a separate monitor output that is mono.
  • Got mine from Andertons - great return policy just in case ;)
    Might get one, if they can get it to me tomorrow...although really tempted to wait for the Matrix passive 12".
    Having owned two powered FR12s and the Yam's, the Yam's win the day for me. Easier to get a nice sound at low volumes and not boomy.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • Is there any reason to get an active cab with a PowerHead?

My band, Red For Dissent
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775

Is there any reason to get an active cab with a PowerHead?

Take a regular cab along to a gig and you have a backup.  Other than that I can't think of one
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    edited March 2017
    Stereo? 
    By which I mean take a regular passive cab but is there a way in the Kemper to use an active cab to give you stereo 
    I honestly can't believe the poweramp is mono on the Kemper. I know it everyone runs stereo but it does seem like an ommission 
  • trolleytrolley Frets: 88
    I'm leaning towards a GT1000 amp & a Neolight 2x12  - but that's pushing the boat out a bit. Especially since I'm not in a band at the mo!
  • @Wazmeister Got the DXR-10 today.  And I can't say I'm enjoying it at all.  The Kemper rollercoaster continues...and I'm yet again tempted to go back to valves.  Frustrating.

My band, Red For Dissent
    @Wazmeister Got the DXR-10 today.  And I can't say I'm enjoying it at all.  The Kemper rollercoaster continues...and I'm yet again tempted to go back to valves.  Frustrating.

Once again, don't be so hasty :). What is is you aren't enjoying about it
  • imalrightjackimalrightjack Frets: 3747
    edited April 2017
    @John_A - I'm giving my ears a rest to start with.  I kind of feel back to square one, in that everything sounds a bit samey/slightly unrealistic.  I do believe that am being unrealistic too.  But any advice on setting up the FRFR would be useful.  Thanks

I actually think part of the problem is, I liked the Dirty Shirley sound so much, I was thinking...why not just get one of them?

My band, Red For Dissent
    edited April 2017
    Firstly, the reason it to get a Dirty Shirley is you aleardy have one, a jcm800' a dual rec, a deluxe reverb and 100s of other amps to enjoy, stick with it and you'll rid yourself of amp GAS forever 

with a Helix, there are two things that make a big difference, cab modelling or IR choice and EQ.  Don't know how to do it on a Kemper, but ad a global EQ on the cab or main out and roll of the highs and about 5-6khz, and the lows below about 130hz. (Not hard and fast figures but good starting points) get on the Kemper forums and see what others are doing, and give it time.  I did just that and I sound better than I ever did with a room full of expensive equipment valve amps.

Dont worry of everything doesn't sound fantastic immediately, it will after a bit of tinkering and once you've got the hang of it, it'll just get better and better from there on in.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks, @John_A Good advice. 

Which cab do you use?

My band, Red For Dissent
  • John_A said:
    Firstly, the reason it to get a Dirty Shirley is you aleardy have one, a jcm800' a dual rec, a deluxe reverb and 100s of other amps to enjoy, stick with it and you'll rid yourself of amp GAS forever 

with a Helix, there are two things that make a big difference, cab modelling or IR choice and EQ.  Don't know how to do it on a Kemper, but ad a global EQ on the cab or main out and roll of the highs and about 5-6khz, and the lows below about 130hz. (Not hard and Gas figures but good starting points) get on the Kemper forums and see what others are doing, and give it time.  I did just that and I sound better than I ever did with a room full of expensive equipment valve amps.

Dont worry of everything doesn't sound fantastic immediately, it will after a bit of tinkering and once you've got the hang of it, it'll just get better and better from there on in.
    This x1000! 

It took me a LONG time to get used to IR and this way of working/playing/listening. It takes time to get things right. I also hated the DXR10s when I got them home.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Thanks, @John_A Good advice. 

Which cab do you use?
    Mainly a DXR10 or occasionally a RCF710a for gigs, at home just through my studio monitors.  The DXR really does sound great 
  • Any setting changes to start with @Jonathanthomas83  ? I'm off work Monday so can spend the day playing.  

The learning curve is so tough. But listening back to rehearsal using a tiny 1 x 12 cab which sounded great, I should keep my eyes (and ears) on how good it will sound with work. 

My band, Red For Dissent
  • I'm not familiar with the Kemper, for me (with the Axe FX), the firmware is at such an advanced stage now that as long as you match the amp and the IR, there's very little to do beyond defaults. 

However, little changes like using an SM57 close to centre cone, and if you have the ability with the Kemper, try a second mic nearby - like a R121...that'll balance warmth to clinical.

I personally use XLR with level on 0db. Both switches are set to off on the DXR10, use mono and keep the LED on ;-)

There's other stuff I do with the Axe FX, but it's not relevant to your case. Sorry I'm unable to help beyond that really. Maybe get together with other Kemper owners who use FRFR. Also, the Kemper forum will be great for this.

All I'll say is that this isn't an easy route to get used to, it takes time and patience. Not jumping ship at the earliest opportunity. After a while, that patience pays off and you're rewarded with a setup that takes very little tweaking to sound amazing. Once it's done, it's done and you'll be thankful you made the switch and spent time fiddling at the start!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16095
    I think @Jonathanthomas83  is spot on - whether it's Helix ,Axe fx or Kemper NONE sound great out of the box .You have to piss around tweaking which some people enjoy whilst others want to plug and play.I am impatient and want to get set asap but I am persisting and it gets better and better.......I notice the following ;
    1) little adjustments make huge differences 
    2) You will never get the PA ,monitors or power cab to sound exactly like the typical cab but it's so close - certainly you would never notice once you add drums or bass or 2nd guitar......don't kid yourself
    3)Just because it sounds different doesn't mean it sounds bad ............you are conditioned by expectation
      nothing wrong with different at all 
     You wouldn't say Roast beef tasted horrible just because you were more used to Roast Lamb
    To follow that analagy I would simply say "same meat -different gravy "
     Enjoy the difference.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom