Red Nose Day

What's Hot
RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13941
edited March 2017 in Off Topic
OK, I'm not in the best mood tonight but I'm really sceptical about the whole thing. Do the public really donate more money each year? I'm sick of hugely rich 'celebrities' asking me for money.

Throwing money at the problems in Africa clearly hasn't worked for the last 30 years. £1BN raised and still 20m people in crisis.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27497
    edited March 2017
    Wis'd.

[edit]
    although that's nearly offset by the dumb'd you get for your spelling
    ;)
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13941
    TTony said:
    Wis'd.

[edit]
    although that's nearly offset by the dumb'd you get for your spelling
    ;)
    Apologies for the fat fingers but I am 1 bottle of Cobra, 2 strong G&Ts and 3 large glasses of wine in so far...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27497
    2 bottles of (GF) beer and 1/2 bottle of wine.

But "G&Ts" ... where's the smiley for that ...

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17609
    tFB Trader
    Just because the money donated hasn't fixed all the world's problems doesn't mean it hasn't done good.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • TheBlueWolfTheBlueWolf Frets: 1536
    I'm sure these events do plenty of good for the needy. The African government is corrupt to the core which is a separate issue.*

Posted while enjoying my 8,658th cup of tea this evening :)

Twisted Imaginings - A Horror And Gore Themed Blog http://bit.ly/2DF1NYi

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    I think every year I dip into it for five minutes, find it pretty much unbearable and do something else. I've never seen anything funny on it. 
    I'll assume it does good but this, children in need, sport relief are unwatchable to me. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2490
    OK, I'm not in the best mood tonight but I'm really sceptical about the whole thing. Do the public really donate more money each year? I'm sick of hugely rich 'celebrities' asking me for money.

Throwing money at the problems in Africa clearly hasn't worked for the last 30 years. £1BN raised and still 20m people in crisis.

Every year its a record, sport reliefr red nose day children in need.

Money doesnt seem to be the solution, Africa is a tough place to live for millions, giving them a water tap solves one problem out of 50

Special Fried rice. chips, curry sauce and 3 Desperados
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12365
    I caught about 20 seconds of Rob Bryden being deeply unfunny and turned over. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11295
    Ethiopia couldn't feed itself when it had a population of 35 million. Aid poured in, people lived and had families and now it's a country of 70 million who are even more dependent on foreign aid and less able to feed themselves.

I'm not saying "let them all starve to death", but there surely has to be a better way of doing things.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24803
    Essential viewing - for Lenny Henry's mum....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22824
    I hate Comic Relief or Red Nose Day or whatever they call it now.  

I don't see why we should be expected to regard seven hours of badly written, under-rehearsed shite as acceptable entertainment just because it's for a good cause.

Still, it got Lenny Henry a knighthood, eh?  I just wish he'd take the hint and retire.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm sure these events do plenty of good for the needy. The African government is corrupt to the core which is a separate issue.*

The African government? With that level of knowledge of the politics of the African continent, perhaps better not to venture such definitive opinions?

Red Nose Day? I'm lucky, I live in Japan and it doesn't reach here. They have '24-hour Television' telethons every now and again, which are so shite that I can cheerfully tell myself that Red Nose Day is better (though it's not going to make me watch it to find out).
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16095
    DREADFUL - more like red face day for the participants !
    Worthy cause ,like most charities and heartbreaking stories but the production is just awful .
    Deeply unfunny sketches with celebrities rolled out to pledge allegiance looking embarrassed , forced dialogue and terrible script-writing ........just a complete car crash .
     I am genuinely certain that if they ran a few trailers and asked people to pledge money to keep it off the air that they would probably triple the takings .I would happily pay for it NOT to commandeer a whole night of television .
     I think the name RED -NOSE DAY is shite too .
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4670
    Total and utter shite, dipped in for about 30 seconds, celebrities asking me for money and being deeply unfunny. 

oh and I wasn't drinking, which is unheard of for me on a Friday so was already in a bad mood 
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3453
    The money does help, but put it into perspective, look at how much money was raised for children in need compared to how much money the queen is pumping into her palace refurb, or how much money our government bleeds from us to pay their expenses etc.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3453
    And in fairness, do you guys expect to be entertained before you give to charity? I didnt watch it but today is our last day thank god in raising money for it, a lot of hard work and time and we still didnt raise much, but it all helps.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22824
    Did anyone do this thing of wearing something red to work for Red Nose Day, and donating a couple of quid, like Jeans for Genes?  We were supposedly doing it, but it was so under-publicised I think everyone forgot (not that I would've bothered anyway).  I only saw two people in the whole office wearing red jumpers or cardigans, although I guess there may have been some red socks or a red tie I never noticed. 
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    boogieman said:
    I caught about 20 seconds of Rob Bryden being deeply unfunny and turned over. 
    Who turned him over?
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    I feel left out at having missed the whole thing.
    For the last 25 years.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    mike_l said:
    I feel left out at having missed the whole thing.
    For the last 25 years.

You've missed nothing. Honestly...