ON my phone in car - naughty or not ?

What's Hot
DominicDominic Frets: 16095
Yesterday,in a quiet side road, I pulled over to make a phone call .........I parked ,switched off engine ,ate a banana and then dialled my sister .
 Next thing ;a Traffic warden is tapping on my window - there was no issue about where or how I was parked but he had pulled in on his moped to tell me that I was breaking the Law and to get off the phone ! I showed him that keys were on the passenger seat .
 He insisted that despite being immobile and the car engine switched off that to use a phone inside a car parked on a public carriageway was an offence ...........I ignored him and continued my call ;he noted my number and rode away .
 It's got me thinking in retro .......seems absurd but could I be wrong ?................Hope not .
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    What a load of nonsense. You can't be expected to get out of your car or move seats to make a call. You did the right thing.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26994
    Completely legal. He's a jobsworth dickhead

https://www.gov.uk/using-mobile-phones-when-driving-the-law
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16095
    That's what I figured but my reason for posting was that a friend had been subject to a very similar thing in central London last week from a Plastic Police so I thought that the law perhaps was an Ass !
  • kaypeejaykaypeejay Frets: 777
    I really hate it when people use their phones whilst driving or momentarily stopped in a queue. What you did was perfectly acceptable. 
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3902
    Haha what a cock. 
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2238
    The gov site states safely parked.
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4696
    slacker said:
    Ah, but define "Safely Parked".................................
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4437
    Think you're ok!!
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26994
    rlw said:
    slacker said:
    Ah, but define "Safely Parked".................................
    If the parking warden didn't give a ticket he'll struggle to argue you were unsafely parked after the fact...!
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2490
    Unless his local authority have given him the power it's none of his business anyway. Traffic, litter and dog fouling is pretty much what they cover 
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    I've wondered if it's legal if you're stuck in a stationary traffic jam - ie one where it's obvious you won't be moving for several minutes, not 'queuing traffic', and you've turned the engine off - since you then *can't* either move or park. I assumed it would be since it's clearly safe, but there have been cases where drivers have been prosecuted for eating a sandwich or something like that in the same sort of situation - although as far as I know the magistrates have done the sensible thing and thrown the cases out.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Without knowing the parking location - if we assume you met the general safe parking rules then you were completely in the right.

You should have told him to do one and that you were talking to 999 about being harassed by a jobsworth in a hiviz jacket and a hat....
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5629
    What a jumped-up little shit - I would have provided him with an unequivocal response. 
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11295
    I don't know why they're stil called traffic wardens. Their job is solely to collect revenue.
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    edited March 2017
    ICBM said:
    I've wondered if it's legal if you're stuck in a stationary traffic jam - ie one where it's obvious you won't be moving for several minutes, not 'queuing traffic', and you've turned the engine off - since you then *can't* either move or park.
    7 or 8 years ago a policeman told my dad off in that exact situation.

It didn't get better either...

Policeman: "you need to maintain your awareness even in a situation like this. And it's not a good example to your daughter."

Dad: "She's not my daughter."

Policeman: "What's your relationship then?"

Dad: "None of your business."
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    They trying to liken it to the drunk in charge of a vehicle ruling where even if you are asleep in your car in your driveway you can be done for drunk driving...

BUT simple solution - slide across to the passenger seat to make the call!
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    I believe this is what is known as a gateway crime. There is a provable link (for a given, but hidden, definition of provable. And link) between using your phone in a stationary car with the engine off and the keys on the passenger seat and the trafficing of young women across international borders to work in the sex trade/starbucks. With any luck your details will now be entered onto a database, thus enabling a closer scrutiny of your daily actions prior to being sent off to one of our almost luxurious reeducation centers. Thank you for your cooperation.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    Nope. If your engine is off and your keys aren't in the ignition you're in the clear. He can shove the ticket machine up his arse.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2438
    I wonder how the law applies to modern cars where the keys are never in the ignition, they're just in the car and you use a start button?
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13941
    You really should see someone about your addiction to Granny Chat