Lumbar support

What's Hot
Anybody attach any form of support to your office chair or even driving seat? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• randellarandella Frets: 4168
    edited March 2017
    I have an orthopaedic office chair with a fairly brutal lumbar support anyway. It's stopped me slouching (I'd break my spine trying!) and, overall, it's been a godsend. 

I wasn't too happy at having it foisted on me following a workstation assessment after spinal surgery a few years ago but I'm glad I did. Any standard office chair leaves me stiff as a board (careful now!) after a day. 

I don't bother in the car. Ford seats fit me perfectly, probably one of the main reasons I keep buying the bloody things. 

I do roll up my coat (usually a small denim jacket) and put it in the small of my back on aeroplane seats when flying - commercial aviation is the one single cast-iron guaranteed thing that'll leave me half-crippled. 
  • randellarandella Frets: 4168
    Why the question, if I'm not being too nosey?
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4701

I use a backfriend when sat working at home and occasionally driving.
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4436
    I've noticed over the last 2 weeks I've had a little back pain. Don't know what set it off. I've always thought I need more lower back support... I hunch over both with my lower back and my shoulders. Have to break the habit now.
    It's the backfriend any good? 
    I won't be buying a dedicated chair, but something that can strap to an office chair and a car seat would be good.
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4916
    Whatever became of those car seat covers that were made of hundreds of little wooden balls?
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Nitefly said:
    Whatever became of those car seat covers that were made of hundreds of little wooden balls?
    They all ended up in Nissan Bluebird Taxis...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • speshul91speshul91 Frets: 1397
    I had 1 from halfords, slides over your seat and has a massage pad on too. 
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    Great old git band name - Voltarol and the Lumbar Supports
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Didn't you just recently change your car? It might be worth double checking your driving position to see if that helps.

It might also be worth seeing a physio if you still have problems later. Back pain can come from so many sources but a physio will help you manage it more effectively. 
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    Talking of Lumber - who watches Building Alaska?
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    I'm definitely going to get something.... not sure whether something like a £60-80 backfriend or a tenner wedge for lower back. Any other recommendations welcome!
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    edited March 2017
    Agree on physio if it persists. 
    I'm definitely going to get something.... not sure whether something like a £60-80 backfriend or a tenner wedge for lower back. Any other recommendations welcome!
    My 2p's would be to start with physio.  Get to what is likely to be causing the problem.  If, for example, you've got a hip flexion issue you might be bending forwards a thousand times a day in the course of a day's work and basically your lumbar spine is working unnecessary overtime.  No lumbar support is indicated or would be effective cos the answer would include say, hip stretches and adjusting your chair height.  But that's only one of many possible scenarios.  You need to look for what's driving the pain rather than just poke and hope.
    A lumbar support is often more for you head than your back -- it's like a reminder to adjust your posture and you can get exactly the same effect with a rolled up towel held with gaffa tape.  But first find out if you could do with one because it's seldom "the" answer, more like an adjunct to what you need to do as part of the answer.
    I need to check in with a physiotherapist then - still check who's local!