Lynx helicopter

What's Hot
Now the Lynx Helicopter has been officially retired from Service, there is a big bash on at RNAS Yeovilton next Thursday with a couple of bands on, good bar and a hog roast. 
Has anybody else got any links with the aircraft, it was new when I worked on it, so making me feel very old? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    I've used a few cans under me pits over the years...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    FTFY! ;)
    We are all Chameleons...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3902
    I've worked on just about everything in the military inventory but the Lynx. You don't know a guy called Colin Power do you @koneguitarist? Served in The Falklands.
  • Deadman said:
    I've worked on just about everything in the military inventory but the Lynx. You don't know a guy called Colin Power do you @koneguitarist? Served in The Falklands.
    Don't know the name, was he on a squadron or general service? 
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3902
    Not entirely sure I'm afraid. I know his ship was anchored in San Carlos, can't remember any more details unfortunately and I don't see him anymore to ask. Bit useless really.

Enjoy the beer call. 
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3422
    What are they replacing it with?
  • I worked on the Lynx simulator at Middle Wallop. Absolute bastard trying to land one on top of a mountain in Belize in a crosswind (simulated of course!)

being replaced with the wildkat I think.
  • snakemanStoosnakemanStoo Frets: 1708
    What are they replacing it with?
    Axxe
    PSN id : snakey33stoo
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
    I saw them on Friday doing their final flypast thing. I remember reading as a kid that they could fly upside by flipping their rotors or something? Any truth to that?
  • quarky said:
    I saw them on Friday doing their final flypast thing. I remember reading as a kid that they could fly upside by flipping their rotors or something? Any truth to that?
    No but they could do a barrel role and all sorts of incredible turns due to a semi rigid rotor head. Instead of all sorts of linkages it was much simpler as the titanium rotor head would flex. They could literally force them selves down onto deck floor. Handy during heavy sea when you are removing straps or chains before pilot releases harpoon and takes off. 
    The replacement, looks very similar main difference is complete new tail section, and of course heavier duty engines and stuff. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72329
    quarky said:
    No but they could do a barrel role and all sorts of incredible turns due to a semi rigid rotor head. 
    Also still holds the outright helicopter speed record.

A brilliant piece of British engineering, like the Harrier - at least the Lynx will be replaced by something partly British and broadly similar.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BabonesBabones Frets: 1206
    I've was in a Lynx helicopter back in the 90s. I remember the pilot cut the engine for a bit and we essentially sank like a propeller seed, before turning the engine back on.