SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

Looking for..... Zoot Gibson SG

What's Hot
enteeentee Frets: 93
I have a rainbow Zoot Gibson LP, and was wondering if anyone has or knows of an SG?  Preferably a rainbow.  I just fancy a matching pair hanging on the wall.  Just curious at the moment, but I could be tempted....
Vox 24, Variax 700, Epiphone Dot Studio (Cats Whiskers pups, custom inlay, custom pickguard), Gretsch 5238T (P90s/B3), Gibson Les Paul Zoot (rainbow), Gretsch 5135 PS, 'Graick' G2312TVR, BarileleBo (electric baritone ukulele G6199).
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• enteeentee Frets: 93
    anyone?  this might be closer to a proper want now...  any leads would be much appreciated  :)
    Vox 24, Variax 700, Epiphone Dot Studio (Cats Whiskers pups, custom inlay, custom pickguard), Gretsch 5238T (P90s/B3), Gibson Les Paul Zoot (rainbow), Gretsch 5135 PS, 'Graick' G2312TVR, BarileleBo (electric baritone ukulele G6199).
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7860
    They occasionally turn up on Reverb.  I've been looking for one too, but prices seem high for a pretty but plywood guitar. 
    TheMarlin said:
    They occasionally turn up on Reverb.  I've been looking for one too, but prices seem high for a pretty but plywood guitar. 

Yeah they do seem to be at the moment.  Can't be many around as just don't see them coming up for sale....
    Well it would seem that both Gibson Zoots are somewhat rare - average sale prices being £959 - £1200 for the SG....  I may have trouble finding one at this rate
  • markblackmarkblack Frets: 1591
    edited May 2017
    Here's one from a while back on FB - no idea is it sold.

linky

markblack said:
    Here's one from a while back on FB - no idea is it sold.

linky

Looks like it was £750 - I'll message him.  Cheers  :)
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24272
    TheMarlin said:
    Here is Stanley Clarke playing a pretty but plywood bass

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    TheMarlin said:
    I've seen one, maybe two, over the last six months. Rare as hen's teeth, and have been searching on/off for past couple of years. Now decided they are not my bag, because they are made to be really rocking guitars with some high gain pickups. They're also a bit heavy.

You might have to sit there and search and search and search. And look outside the usual suspects (Fleabay, Reverb). They are out there. Good luck.
    fandango said:
    TheMarlin said:
    I've seen one, maybe two, over the last six months. Rare as hen's teeth, and have been searching on/off for past couple of years. Now decided they are not my bag, because they are made to be really rocking guitars with some high gain pickups. They're also a bit heavy.

You might have to sit there and search and search and search. And look outside the usual suspects (Fleabay, Reverb). They are out there. Good luck.

Yeah rare as hen's teeth it would seem.  I'll keep looking; one will turn up  :)
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7143
    edited May 2017
    Willy Wonka's boat anchor!

I tried a load of these at a guitar show and that was my first impression of them.

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

• usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Rare because no bugger wanted them when they were in production..?
     :s 
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

usedtobe said:
    Rare because no bugger wanted them when they were in production..?
     :s 
    Very probably...
    edited May 2017
    TheMarlin said:
    Here is Stanley Clarke playing a pretty but plywood bass

At no point did I say they were poor guitars.  I've been looking for one myself for years.  Wouldn't pay more than £800 though, so I'm guessing it's going to be a very long wait. 

It is strange that they were derided upon release by all the tone-wood snobs, but a few years on, they're one of the more expensive SG's on the used market. 

Very pretty plywood, but I want one.   Would swap pickups out for somthing more 'vintage P90' though......and bolt a Bigsby on it....
    TheMarlin said:
    At no point did I say they were poor guitars.  I've been looking for one myself for years.  Wouldn't pay more than £800 though, so I'm guessing it's going to be a very long wait. 

It is strange that they were derided upon release by all the tone-wood snobs, but a few years on, they're one of the more expensive SG's on the used market. 

Very pretty plywood, but I want one.   Would swap pickups out for somthing more 'vintage P90' though......and bolt a Bigsby on it....
    Looks like you and I will be searching for the same guitar....  good luck!  :)  Not even sure how many were made of the SG nor the LP tbh, but at least I already have an LP...
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12316
    These were changing hands at under £400 a few years ago. I remember just missing out one one on ebay at around £380
    Second hand prices seem to have shot up for various guitars recently.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    You could spark up a zoot, and then while you're high buy my SG? It's kinda the same thing...
    @TheMarlin - not sure if you have seen this?  I am specifically looking for a rainbow, not the red/black....
    Timing is not good.  If it was blue as the main colour, I'd be selling a kidney right now...!
    Funds now available for a spot-on Rainbow (only) Zoot SG  :)  you know you wanna sell me one