How many bass strings???

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 28344
I have flirted with bass for many year on and off. Started with 4 stringers, but bought a 5 string 18 years ago and never looked back. 5 string basses came and went over the years an I eventually bought an uber bass (Fender custom shop). All was well and good, but for some reason I had a hankering for the simplicity of 4 string again. Bought a status 4, but never got on with it, it felt like something was wrong to be honest. Anyway, I hung up bass playing for the best part of a year, only to get into it again in the last 2 weeks. Suddenly the 4 stringer feels like 'the one' and 5's feel weird. The big question now is do I kiss my supreme bass goodbye?

Anyway, do you prefer 4, 5 or more than 5 bass strings?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7852
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17670
    tFB Trader
    I play a 5 mainly because the last band I was in did a few songs in drop tunings and I don't like changing guitars or retuning on stage. I could see myself potentially going back to playing a 4 at some point depending on the band.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72659

Only ever.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1269
    3!

... or 12?

:-/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24640
    4 or 5.

5 with orchestra as I need the lower range. Happy with 4 for almost everything else.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28344
    I should add that I find it hard switching between 4 & 5. I need to stick with one or the other.
  • steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1269
    ICBM said:
    Surely that's the wrong three, though?
    Surely that's the wrong three, though?
    I suspect it didn't matter too much :). Pretty sure I saw him with only two (the middle two, if I remember rightly - but might have been the bottom two) on at some point as well.

Loved the band but I'm sure musicianship was not a priority ;).

• ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    seems like a pretty good number to me   :)

• UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12960
    In terms of notes, I can do everything with a 4. 

however, in terms of comfort I prefer a 5---I mostly use the B string as a thumbrest and it feels wrong not having it there! 
  • chrispy108chrispy108 Frets: 2336
    I chose a detuned 4 over a 5, I just never got on with either of the fivers I had.

If possible, 6.

8 is better.

I like 15 so it goes below the range of human hearing, it really fills out a band mix.

Mostly 4 or 5 though.
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    edited April 2014
    3!

One of @mdphillips first ever endorsement deals.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2371
    Only messed with 4 so far, haven't been playing bass too long.

Then again I've only ever messed with 6 on a "normal" guitar and I've been playing that for ages, so...
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2371
    edited April 2014
    Cack, accidental double post :|
  • IanSavageIanSavage Frets: 1319
    Always said I'd never need any more than 4, joined a band who tuned down to C so got a five and tuned it up a semitone, loved it, totally doesn't work for blues band I'm with now, back to four again. I REALLY want a Jazz type for some reason. 
  • ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    That is an incredible looking instrument.

You don't really think you can get away with posting that picture @fretmeister without an explanation.

It was bad enough watching the Zon Hyperbass video you posted elsewhere, that was incredible.  This is going to get expensive, very, very expensive !

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24640
    That is a Read Step Neck bass. It belongs to Victor Wooten.

I dont know a lot about it - there was a photo in the "American Basses" book.

I believe there are only 2 in the world. Even rarer than the Zon Hyperbass (there are 3 of them in the UK. I have 1, and someone I know has the other 2!)