Strings - what do you use, where do you get yours and how much do you pay?

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• HaychHaych Frets: 6171
    Bax Music seem to be the cheapest around at the moment (£38 for 10). Granted, you do have to pay shipping under £100, but if you are ordering other stuff it's a great price. 

https://www.bax-shop.co.uk/electric-guitar-strings/daddario-exl110-10p-string-set-for-electric-guitar-10-sets?q=daddar
    Darn that's a pretty good deal! 

Does anyone know if D'addario EXL116 11-52 sets can be ordered in bulk?  I've not seen any yet, maybe they're not nearly as popular.

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HaychHaych Frets: 6171

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    usedtobe said:
    I believe they were originally made from string..
    They were originally made from Gut.

"Hello, Mr Music Shop Owner, I would like a packet of your finest guts please"

"Get out.."
    I knew that. It was just a failed attempt at humour..
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4972
    Last month I bought a 10 pack of D'Addario EXL120's from Bax shop for £38.95 inc delivery. So, at less than £3.90 a set that's pretty competitive. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • MickeyjiMickeyji Frets: 108
    You can get Pyramids from Thomann at 2.99 £  the set - probably one of the best deals for quality strings. I use those and d'Addarios, also from Thomann.
  • ricorico Frets: 1221
    Voxman said:
    Last month I bought a 10 pack of D'Addario EXL120's from Bax shop for £38.95 inc delivery. So, at less than £3.90 a set that's pretty competitive. 
    Thanks for the tip!
  • ModellistaModellista Frets: 2049
    Elixir Nanoweb 10-46 for electrics - with the 3 for 2 deal they're £7.66 a set here...

Elixir Nanoweb 12-53 PB for acoustics - with the 3 for 2 deal they're £11.16 a set here...

@lozboy suggested having a sell-by date on strings which I thoroughly agree with - I've got a few older sets of Martins kicking around for my beater guitars - restrung a guitar the other day and the strings were tarnished straight out of the packets.  Total waste of time and money.

Count me in the Elixir fan club.  My main gigging Tele has had the same set of Elixirs on it for months, if not over a year, and it still sounds fresh.  I hate changing strings, and uncoateds go dull in about 5 minutes flat in my experience.  What's most impressive about Elixirs is the non-coated "anti-rust" unwound strings genuinely last far longer than conventional strings, even without the coating.  Makes you think there's a business reason why string manufacturers make strings that wear out quickly...
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24584
    usedtobe said:
    usedtobe said:
    I believe they were originally made from string..
    They were originally made from Gut.

"Hello, Mr Music Shop Owner, I would like a packet of your finest guts please"

"Get out.."
    I knew that. It was just a failed attempt at humour..
    Lol - so was mine ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3646
    I've been using mainly Pyramid strings for most guitars and Fender 150s for the others. In the past bulk buys from Thomann stuck onto other orders to get free carriage. The hit to our currency makes all strings seem more expensive now. Bulk buy still saves in the end.