Guide price for Abbey Ybarra handwound '1960 Relic' Strat pickups?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• NickNick Frets: 98
    My CS Tele has Abby's pickups in it and sounds excellent - whether it is down to her winding technique or not, I do not know.

I suppose some people find her link to Fender's history quite interesting. That is where the value is added.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DanDan Frets: 453
    I had some Abby Ybarra signed Fat 50's pickups, pulled them from my CS Strat. Got £400 for them which is crazy money. Thought they were decent but nothing special. Replaced them with a 60's set from @Mojopickups which I still have in my strat as they sound superb.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24584
    Hmmm, so the split coil in my 1964 P bass was wound by Abby in Mid-December 1964.. just as Goldfinger was released in the US. 

Clearly the film gossip was high in the Fender factory then, cos the tone is just so sweet.

The bass has a clear license to kill...
  • gubblegubble Frets: 1826
    My telecaster was clearly wired the day after the Star Wars Holiday Special aired....... Great playing guitar, rubbish pickups.
  • OssyrocksOssyrocks Frets: 1680
    I had a set of Abby's in a CS Ltd Ed Strat from Coda.

I really did not like them at all. Thin, bright, weak, brittle. 

I replaced them with Lindy Fralin Blues Specials and the guitar came alive, waaaaaay better.

The Abby's I pulled measured just 5.1k to 5.4k, defo on the weak side. I sold them for £280 the set.

Rob.
  • WillEdmundsWillEdmunds Frets: 168
    @Ossyrocks Cool, the ones I have are good, but just found a set of Rocketfires, which are hard to beat!!
  • StuartMac290StuartMac290 Frets: 1550
    I have a set of Abby hand wound Custom 65s, which I understand are particularly rare. They sound great, but I wonder how much they might fetch? I mean, they're not THAT great!
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31591
    Ossyrocks said:
    I had a set of Abby's in a CS Ltd Ed Strat from Coda.

I really did not like them at all. Thin, bright, weak, brittle. 

I replaced them with Lindy Fralin Blues Specials and the guitar came alive, waaaaaay better.

The Abby's I pulled measured just 5.1k to 5.4k, defo on the weak side. I sold them for £280 the set.

Rob.
    ^ this. In spades.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15430
    tFB Trader
    I have a set of Abby hand wound Custom 65s, which I understand are particularly rare. They sound great, but I wonder how much they might fetch? I mean, they're not THAT great!
    If they have the 'bright almost red' wire then they should be the '65' models and yes quite rare - Fender have never sold these as a sets on their own - only available with the guitar - They are effectively similar to the SRV 'Lenny' Strat period and the Hendrix black 65 'Monterey' Strat that he favoured on many recordings - As such they have quite a big fan base - They tend to sound lush rather than hot
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    If they have the 'bright almost red' wire then they should be the '65' models and yes quite rare - Fender have never sold these as a sets on their own - only available with the guitar - They are effectively similar to the SRV 'Lenny' Strat period and the Hendrix black 65 'Monterey' Strat that he favoured on many recordings - As such they have quite a big fan base - They tend to sound lush rather than hot

I have these on my CS '65 Strat from Coda (with the transitional logo). They do sound lush - that's a great word to describe them!
  • StuartMac290StuartMac290 Frets: 1550
    Yep, that's the ones! Got them with the guitar
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2527
    edited March 2017
    Yep, snake oil...even Abby herself was a little bemused by all the attention. Fender made some limited edition sets from her about 17 years ago and put them in a little square box with a certificate signed by her and Mike Eldred, I bought a set for $200 and tried them...average. Put them in a drawer and forgot about them. Stuck them on ebay and set them off  at 0.99 about five years ago and some guy in the U.S paid me $600 for them in the end....what the heck? 

http://musicenscene.fr/userfiles/image/guitares et basses/FENDER Custom Shop/ABBY/set_micros_abby_abigail_ybarra_handwound_pickup_fait_a_la_main_fender_custom_shop.jpg