Making my MJT look a bit more authentic?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• RoxRox Frets: 2147
    It's hard to stop viewing a bitsa as a collection of parts and I think it takes time even when you're happy with it. I've always thought yours looked killer Bucket. I'd just try some other necks - my MJT is on its third now. 

It's funny this.

If you were to restore every part of an Austin Mini Cooper with original, replacement parts, it's an Austin Mini Cooper.  If you were to restore an Austin Mini Cooper with 3rd party repro parts, it's still an Austin Mini Cooper.

As soon as you replace the neck on a Fender - even with a genuine Fender neck, it's now a partscaster rather than a Fender Stratocaster.  If you put together your own Strat with 100% Fender parts, it's still a partscaster because someone at Fender didn't assemble it.

Broadly speaking, the partscaster is put together with more care and thought for materials, pickups, specs, etc, than the Fender version.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7888
    That green will never look "authentic". Forget about authenticity and pop a chrome covered bucker in there so it looks like a 70's hot rod, much more fun like that. You could get someone to reshape the back of the neck and oil finish it it for a more raw feel.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I think it's the dark fingerboard. Maple board on that would look more "right" to my eyes. Mind, I'd get rid of the large headstock in a heartbeat. Never liked the look of them.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • rossirossi Frets: 1713
    Urinate on it and leave it out in the  sun ..Add wolfs piss if  you really want some low down vibe .Make sure pussy cats dont touch it.or it will turn into a  pink Gretsch. A few weeks will do it usually and as we  are in the UK thats all you'll get  anyway .
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3109
    Rox said:
    It's hard to stop viewing a bitsa as a collection of parts and I think it takes time even when you're happy with it. I've always thought yours looked killer Bucket. I'd just try some other necks - my MJT is on its third now. 

It's funny this.

If you were to restore every part of an Austin Mini Cooper with original, replacement parts, it's an Austin Mini Cooper.  If you were to restore an Austin Mini Cooper with 3rd party repro parts, it's still an Austin Mini Cooper.

As soon as you replace the neck on a Fender - even with a genuine Fender neck, it's now a partscaster rather than a Fender Stratocaster.  If you put together your own Strat with 100% Fender parts, it's still a partscaster because someone at Fender didn't assemble it.

Broadly speaking, the partscaster is put together with more care and thought for materials, pickups, specs, etc, than the Fender version.
    You're right. Mine has a Fender neck and I think that stemmed from it not looking quite right - I got very obsessive about it. I always tell people that it's a bitsa though and I'll always see it as one. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    I think it looks great. If you have second thoughts about th eneck like you mention then change it. Plastics look fine. And I prefer clay dots
  • stuagustuagu Frets: 334
    Think it looks lush 
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12720
    As has been said, the chrome is a bit... bright, as is the tip of the trem arm. The flat pole pieces look a bit strange to my eyes too - and again, too bright on the pole pieces. The knobs look a little 'new' (the Volume and Tone legends are too clean and legible, as are the numbers, plus the top edge of the knurled section of the volume knob wears slightly. Finally the screws holding the pickguard down look a bit bright too.

But, the colour is lush and I think overall it looks great.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• I think it looks really good!

ICBM mentioned above the clay dots being swapped to pearl dots. If you did that and maybe had the neck refinished in a tint that you like, you'd have something that to me would be 10/10! 
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10915
    OP guitar cool AF, my 2p
  • FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2487
    It looks fine. It'd look cooler with black plastics but I think that about most strats!
    I'd do this and stick a humbucker in the bridge, proper 70's hot rod.
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3507
    Get a black felt tip and draw a penis on the scratch plate. 

IMO, if I wanted it to look 'more authentic' I'd put a Mojo Supro at the bridge and a Gold Foil at the neck... 

All in all the guitar looks great. 
  • RoxRox Frets: 2147
    Rox said:

It's funny this.

You're right. Mine has a Fender neck and I think that stemmed from it not looking quite right - I got very obsessive about it. I always tell people that it's a bitsa though and I'll always see it as one. 
    Thing is, I think it's a bit silly that a car, where literally thousands of pieces can be non-original is still called it's original name, but that same logic is frowned upon in guitars.

I don't actually see why a partscaster, with a majority of original Fender parts is bad form to call it a Fender... whatever.

Like I say, in a lot of cases, these Partscasters are put together with more care and thought for the component parts than the bought-in-the-shop originals.

Embrace your partscaster, call it something that works for you.  I love my Partscaster - The Custardcaster as I call it.  Every part on it, except the steel block (because I wanted to replace the original zinc block) was made by Fender.

Then it's your Fender  ....caster:)