Low wind PAFs instead of PAFs?

What's Hot
LebarqueLebarque Frets: 4127
edited March 2017 in Guitar
Anyone use low winds? I'm considering some for a 335-style. How do you find them? Anyone looking to move some on? I seem to remember @guitars4you liking them?
Cheers
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    On a Heritage H575 the ones Oil City made me are excellent. Woody, jazzy neck tone and bluesy bridge. 
  • markjmarkj Frets: 948
    Same here. I'm looking at Monty's PAF's.
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5529
    OX4
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3287
    tFB Trader
    Monty's 
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3897
    Evilmags said:
    On a Heritage H575 the ones Oil City made me are excellent. Woody, jazzy neck tone and bluesy bridge. 

• citizen68citizen68 Frets: 172
    Deacci Zeroes
    Seemed like a good idea.....

• mr-macmr-mac Frets: 200
    edited March 2017
    Deacci LP59-zero
  • StuartMac290StuartMac290 Frets: 1550
    I have a set of OX4 low winds in one of my 335s, and a set of MHS in the other. Both are excellent, but the OX4s are a bit sweeter and richer-sounding.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15430
    tFB Trader
    Lebarque said:
    Anyone use low winds? I'm considering some for a 335-style. How do you find them? Anyone looking to move some on? I seem to remember @guitars4you liking them?
    Cheers
    the Lollar Low Winds are factory fitted on my Collings i35LC and suit me, but I play with far less gain today, so you might well find the level of gain you use has some bearing on which pick-ups you favour
  • photekphotek Frets: 1507
    Another plus 1 for Monty.
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16679
    A load of old cobblers......marketing bs........I have Lollar Imperials in one guitar and LOW WIND Imperials in another identical guitar ..........really can't tell the difference at all .....and even if I could it's nothing that turning the vol knob down one digit wont solve
     Got OX4 and Seth Lovers in others ...........same story
    All in the mind I think
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5229
    Stormy Mondays. Preferably early ones when they were handwired. Oh wait, there's no such thing as literally handwired pickups!  ;)
    260+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17501
    Stormy Mondays. Preferably early ones when they were handwired. Oh wait, there's no such thing as literally handwired pickups!  ;)
    actually, most are handwired.   but the definition of "hand wound" might be up for debate ;)
  • photekphotek Frets: 1507
    edited March 2017
    Dominic said:
    A load of old cobblers......marketing bs........I have Lollar Imperials in one guitar and LOW WIND Imperials in another identical guitar ..........really can't tell the difference at all .....and even if I could it's nothing that turning the vol knob down one digit wont solve
     Got OX4 and Seth Lovers in others ...........same story
    All in the mind I think
    Interesting, I notice quite a difference between my Monty's, OX4's and antiquities, particularly on break up settings. Less so with lots of gain. It's not Day and night but definitely enough to have more than one Les Paul.
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5229
    edited March 2017
    WezV said:
    Stormy Mondays. Preferably early ones when they were handwired. Oh wait, there's no such thing as literally handwired pickups! 
    actually, most are handwired.   but the definition of "hand wound" might be up for debate
    What I meant was that none are wired/wound totally by hand without the use of any machine.
    260+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17501
    I know, I'm just being pedantic. :)

It's funny how many PAFs are advertised as handwound (meaning the wire is guided onto the spinning bobbin by hand... to a greater or lesser degree) when the originals never were at all.  But I can't deny most of the pickups I buy are handwound in some way.  

Gibson pickup winding machine was a quirky beast, and it's probably easier to mimic its randomness by hand.