Anyone Use Soap?

What's Hot
I notice that, in my local Sainsbury's, soap is increasingly hard to find and confined to two or three bands, tucked away at the bottom and end of one shelf in the cosmetics section.

I also can't recall the last time I saw a soap brand advert.

Does this suggest that people aren't using bars of soap anymore?

Does everyone smell - or use an alternative (what is it?)?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4952
    Shower gel.

Not long ago we bought a bar of Pears' soap, it was a very nostalgic scent.
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    Using soup?  FFS

Backdoor Children Of The Sock
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    I use soap, but stuff like Dove. Got the Cussons equivalent at the moment though
    My V key is broken
    But it dries you skin like bleachy and melts it like degreasant.  Chicken manure.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    Yeah. Dead handy to pop a bit on a screw just before screwing in to lubricate.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    I always smell of roses because my bed and trousers smell of smoke and piss. 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I use tea tree soap after grappling, it keeps ringworm at bay. I like the smell of it too. 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16356
    The shops have a lot of scented soaps before Xmas and Mother's Day and places like Lush still sell soap. But the majority of our use is shower gel and squirty soaps (the ones that look like ejaculate). 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • roundthebendroundthebend Frets: 1152
    I like soap for use before shaving. Any time I stay in a hotel I use the free one, then take it home. I've got about 4 bars now which will last years.
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    I like all the fancy soaps you can get like Roger & Gallet or whatever it's called, but my all-time favourite soap is Wright's Coal Tar, which nowadays contains no coal tar as that kills you apparently.

I'm pretty sure I used to use Coal Tar shampoo when I was a student. I have distinct memories of traipsing down 4 flights of stairs to the basement bathroom (yes, an illegal number of floors twixt me and bathroom), shooing away the slugs and washing my hair with that stuff.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    The problem with some major-brand squirty soaps is that they are too jelly-like, at least for our cold kitchen, so the soap falls off your hands and you have to use more. Which may just be brilliant product design.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484
    edited March 2017

The bottled shower gels, soap gels etc waste so much packaging. I would put an extra tax on them (or drop VAT for sensibly packaged soaps.)

• I use soaps from lush. 

They're expensive but they last for ages - so they're actually cheaper in the long run. Two pieces lasts for months. 

They smell ace. Being lush there is probably less environmental impact too. 
  • hotpothotpot Frets: 846
    Always used Imperial leather soap for as long as I can remember, We use an anti bacterial squirty soap next to the bathroom sink also.
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5106
    I use soaps from lush. 

They're expensive but they last for ages - so they're actually cheaper in the long run. Two pieces lasts for months. 

I work in Lush shops, repairing lighting, I always have to buy something to prove I've been working when I turn up at home covered in Glitter and smelling like a tart. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    The shops have a lot of scented soaps before Xmas and Mother's Day and places like Lush still sell soap. But the majority of our use is shower gel and squirty soaps (the ones that look like ejaculate). 
    Are you sure it's not.......

nevermind. 
    This deserves a Phnaar Phnaar. 
  • RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484

When I started building odds & ends out of hardwoods, I actually snapped a few screws.  Nobody told me you're supposed to put flakes of dry soap on the screw first.

(What a moron. Very hard to get the damn things out.)

• VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15839
    pears for normal cleaning here, and farmers pumice soap for when our hands are really dirty (I'm a gardener and smallholder, so that's a lot)

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4695
    I use soaps from lush. 

I work in Lush shops, repairing lighting, I always have to buy something to prove I've been working when I turn up at home covered in Glitter and smelling like a tart. 
    I know the feeling as I spend half my life in airports where you are forced to walk through duty free and end up smelling like the inside of a cheap brothel