An honest view of the PRS Custom 24

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15430
    tFB Trader
    The custom 24 when it came out for most of us was a revelation it was the guitar that bridged the gap between a Les Paul or a Fender.

For me HFS & VB sound really good, I have though about changing mine a few times but the things always sound great. 

The rotary switch never bothered me and once you get the technique its easy and looks nicer than a clunky old 3 or 5 way. 
    Never really like pull pots.

As for deadspots on the small heel it may be a fact but I own 1 and have played at least 6 from that era and I had never heard of it from friends or players, till Richard Homer brings it up :-)

So for me custom 24 is a great guitar
    it became a big talking point generated by Ed Roman - a guy with a guitar store in Las Vegas and a big rant n rave section on his web site - some interesting topics - maybe some valid and some very opinionated to say the least - I think he wound Paul Reed Smith up about it - maybe there is some validity in it as PRS changed the heel, but it certainly is not a fault you'll find on all or many early models 
    I recall his rant about 24 Vs 22 fret models.......

utter shodblocks if ever I heard it. 

what a great phrase - shodblocks - Is that a technical term and can I borrow it 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5106
    The custom 24 when it came out for most of us was a revelation it was the guitar that bridged the gap between a Les Paul or a Fender.

For me HFS & VB sound really good, I have though about changing mine a few times but the things always sound great. 

The rotary switch never bothered me and once you get the technique its easy and looks nicer than a clunky old 3 or 5 way. 
    Never really like pull pots.

As for deadspots on the small heel it may be a fact but I own 1 and have played at least 6 from that era and I had never heard of it from friends or players, till Richard Homer brings it up :-)

So for me custom 24 is a great guitar
    it became a big talking point generated by Ed Roman - a guy with a guitar store in Las Vegas and a big rant n rave section on his web site - some interesting topics - maybe some valid and some very opinionated to say the least - I think he wound Paul Reed Smith up about it - maybe there is some validity in it as PRS changed the heel, but it certainly is not a fault you'll find on all or many early models 
    I recall his rant about 24 Vs 22 fret models.......

utter shodblocks if ever I heard it. 

what a great phrase - shodblocks - Is that a technical term and can I borrow it 
    He he feel free, it's a term I heard from an elderly gentleman once, you know the type, every other word is a swear word without actually being a swear word. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • ElwoodElwood Frets: 461
    stonevibe said:
    I have one of the plain white ones that is the now discontinued Dave Navarro model and I hardly ever play it. Nicely made and sounds really good when played through a Plexi style amp with gain.

Would say that the low profile trem is smooth, just it feels cramped and the whole feel of the guitar is just off a little for my tastes, which echoes what has been said already. Great guitar though and more it isn't quite me rather than it has any actual faults.
    I think I've read this before. Over a year ago. How long have you had the Navarro and not used it?
    Elwood said:
    stonevibe said:
    I have one of the plain white ones that is the now discontinued Dave Navarro model and I hardly ever play it. Nicely made and sounds really good when played through a Plexi style amp with gain.

Would say that the low profile trem is smooth, just it feels cramped and the whole feel of the guitar is just off a little for my tastes, which echoes what has been said already. Great guitar though and more it isn't quite me rather than it has any actual faults.
    I think I've read this before. Over a year ago. How long have you had the Navarro and not used it?
    Dave Navarro was the reason I wanted a PRS from an early age. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7349
    edited April 2017
    Elwood said:
    stonevibe said:

Years. But a huge fan of Jane's Addiction (first time around) and so bought it partially on that. It lives in a case next to my dentistry equipment...

I prefer my RG550 for more 'classic' Jane's tones.
  • sawyersawyer Frets: 733
    Beautifully made. Sold my Custom 22 because I was terrified of damaging it. Lived in its case. A well gigged road battered one could well be the ultimate guitar. A PRS you could just play and dig into. Think that's the problem I had with mine-too nice.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    sawyer said:
    Beautifully made. Sold my Custom 22 because I was terrified of damaging it. Lived in its case. A well gigged road battered one could well be the ultimate guitar. A PRS you could just play and dig into. Think that's the problem I had with mine-too nice.
    I get that, it's why I sold my first CU24. 

But i I missed it so much I got a CU22 tentop to replace it years later. 

If it gets dinged it gets dinged, its my 'forever' guitar if you excuse the term, and I have a slightly foxed CE24 for angry playing.