String ferrules too small?

What's Hot
I always thought they were a ball ache to get in, but my ferrules from axesrus (smooth lipped) just drop right in!

Did I get the wrong ones? Or can I just use a suitable glue to keep them in? Normally, you need to tap them in with a hammer...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    I used a nice little clamp and clamped them in :)
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • frankus;152792" said:
    I used a nice little clamp and clamped them in :)
    That's what I did on a friend's bass, but these ones are not hard to push in, they just drop right in (except the lip, which will need some persuasion).

I'll have a go with the clamp and see if the lip gives enough grip power to hold it in.
  • The lip shouldn't go in, it should stand proud of the body, right?

You can get flush-fitting ferrules, which is ones with no lip I assume. I don't know if the holes in the body need to be different.

I have one or two slightly loose on my Tele - the strings keep it in but if it gets worse a tiny drop of glue (superglue or maybe Titebond will fix it).
  • Superglue is the answer. To everything.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33984
    edited February 2014
    Ferrules should be tight- heat them with the tip of a soldering iron.
    This is how I've seen everyone do it and I've done it myself more than a few times.

It works brilliantly as the finish will melt slightly acting as a lubricant for the ferrule to slide in easily.
    When it cools it will act as a slight adhesive too.

Tip: Be careful to not overheat as you can mar the finish.

Superglue is probably the wrong way to go about it IMHO. 
    You could end up glueing a ferrule in crooked good luck getting that out and reset without fucking up the finish.

Regarding the OP's issue.
    Do you have the right size ferrules?

Use a caliper to measure the size of the hole and the ferrule.
    5/16th's is a common size.
    You can plug and re-drill but it is a lot of work.
    Otherwise I'd consider getting the right sized ferrule.
    I'd use some sort of glue as a last resort myself but you don't need anything too strong- even Titebond would work as 99.9% of the time you will have the force of the string holding the ferrule in place.

Or, try the soldering iron tip above- the slight finish softening around the opening might be enough to hold the ferrule in place.

Did you drill out the ferrule hole yourself?
    I've seen drill bits vary quite a bit- an 8mm drill bit might be anywhere from 7.6mm to 8.4mm in size in reality.
    That could be enough for it to be slightly oversized and not be a tight fit.
  • RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    If you are stuck I've got loads of ferrules in different sizes as It took a while to find the right ones for my Tele build.

You would be welcome to them.
  • Hmm, I'll have another look and see if I can measure the hole size, and take a pic maybe.  
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12723
    I think you may well have the wrong ferrules for that body - I have an identical one here that I've built up (bear in mind I also had both bodies side by side at one point!!). ;-)

You need these:

The smooth sided ones will not fit the holes drilled in that body. They are too small - I have a set here that I bought a while back and found the same. 

Hope that helps
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • impmann said:
    I think you may well have the wrong ferrules for that body - I have an identical one here that I've built up (bear in mind I also had both bodies side by side at one point!!). ;-)

You need these:

The smooth sided ones will not fit the holes drilled in that body. They are too small - I have a set here that I bought a while back and found the same. 

Hope that helps
    Wisdom for you mate.  I suspected as much, but thought I'd check.  Definitely don't want to superglue them!